Finding the Perfect Starbucks Drink

6 Ways To Find The Perfect Starbucks Drink Even If You Don’t Like Coffee, Trust Me, I'm A Barista

I've seen both the no nonsense regular and hesitant novice, but I'm sure I can find the drink for you.

649
Tayler Klinkbeil

Whether coffee is your favorite beverage on the planet or it's a gun-to-your-head not going to happen, I know the ins and outs of the Starbucks menu and I can find something that will satisfy your taste buds. Likewise, if Starbucks is a daily stop or a necessary evil, I've got you covered whether it's hot and sunny or rainy and gross. There's a few tips and trips I know on how to navigate the menu based on your taste and mood, and even if you think I don't have something for you, I probably do.

I have been a Starbucks barista since January 2018, and I have the unique opportunity of serving Starbucks coffee inside the Walt Disney World Resort. Being both an Orlando resident and coffee lover myself, more often than not I can connect with guests based on our love for the roasted bean. Starbucks gets a lot of flack for being overpriced and overcomplicated, but there are quite a few ways to get the most bang for your buck, and you'll like what's on the end of that straw too.

1. An Americano is NOT for the faint-of-heart.

Expectation:

food.fnr.sndimg.com

Some guests come into my store with not a clue what they want to order, and if they're too scared to sound clueless, they might be inclined to order an Americano. It's the first thing listed under espresso beverages, and because it's sometimes (mistakenly) advertised as a sweet drink topped with whipped cream, it may seem like a safe choice.

WRONG. An Americano is comprised of espresso shots and water. Starbucks offers it either hot or iced, as they do with all espresso beverages, but it is not for those looking for something sweet with a splash of coffee. I've seen them modified up the yin-yang with Vanilla and Hazelnut and soymilk and 4 Splendas, but without a little TLC, a plain Americano is an acquired taste.

If you want to give it a try, go for it, but even as a lover of black coffee, the Americano is still too far down the bitter road for me.

2. You can't go wrong with a Frappuccino.

del.h-cdn.co

Working at Disney, especially in Florida, I've seen thousands of people come in red-faced and bleary-eyed, looking for a shot of caffeine encased in ice. If you're a fan of coffee mixed with sugar, all of the coffee-based Frappuccinos are a good place to start. In the case where you don't like any of the options listed on the menu, ask your barista for a coffee frappuccino and add a syrup. Syrups stocked year-round include Vanilla, Caramel, Toffee Nut, Hazelnut, Peppermint, Cinnamon Dolce, Raspberry, and Classic. See if one of those meets your sweet-tooth needs.

If coffee isn't your thing, I'm a little hurt, but I won't judge. If you'd like to go the coffee-free route, you can ask for any of the Frappuccinos listed as creme-based, or ask for a Syrup Frappuccino (that's where they make the coffee-based ones but without the coffee). I explain to guests that those Frappuccinos are more like milkshakes than anything. A crowd favorite at my store is the Serious Strawberry Frappuccino (seriously, it's like a strawberry milkshake).

Also, if it applies to you, all Frappuccinos are available with nondairy milk as well (Starbucks stocks almond milk, soy milk, and coconut milk), but if you have an allergy it is YOUR responsibility to inform your barista. And please do.

Another trick for ordering Frapps: they ALL come with whipped cream, by standard, EXCEPT for the Espresso Frappuccino, the Coffee Frappuccino, or a nondairy Frappuccino. If you don't want whip on top, please keep that in mind because the barista is going to swirl it on unless you tell them not to.

3. The Blended Strawberry Lemonade is a hidden treasure.

i.amz.mshcdn.com

I'm going to sound like an advertisement for a second, but if it's mid-June and your stomach curdles at the thought of milk in the heat, give the Blended Strawberry Lemonade a go. With the new concentrated Lemonade and the Strawberry puree, you'll wish you were on the beach. My go-to drink order at a restaurant is a Strawberry Lemonade, usually made for me at the bar, and when I discovered this drink at Starbucks I melted of happiness.

Give it a go this summer, or if you're a Florida native like me, next week.

4. If you're edging towards coffee lover, the White Mocha is a good balance.

mda.bigoven.com

The White Mocha comes either iced, hot, or as a Frappuccino, and depending on your preference, you can choose accordingly. Personally, I'll order a hot White Mocha even if it's sweltering outside because I no longer fancy iced coffee. That being said, one of the most popular espresso beverages that come through our queue on a daily basis is an iced White Mocha.

Obviously, it can be modified with either more or fewer shots of espresso (depending on the size you get), and even if you're not dairy-free, I suggest giving it a try with soymilk. Starbucks' soymilk is flavored with vanilla, and it complements the sweetness of the sauce while counteracting the bitterness of the espresso.

5. The Medicine Ball Tea is not a thing anymore, I'm sorry. Try the Citrus Defender!

media.30seconds.com

The Medicine Ball Tea went viral a couple years ago when celebrities all over were calling it a cold buster. Dubbed by Starbucks as the Honey Citrus Mint tea, it featured the Peach TranquiliTEA (whoops, excuse my pun). Unfortunately, Starbucks doesn't carry that tea bag any longer (at least not to my knowledge) and therefore we can't make the Medicine Ball.

But don't fret! In its place, we have the Citrus Defender Tea. It comes with the Defense tea bags (which are a combination of herbal and white teas), honey packets, and steamed lemonade. I've heard great things about this tea, and if you're looking for a good drink for a cold or rainy day, this is the non-coffee way to go.

6. Give the seasonal drinks a whirl.

3apq7g38q3kw2yn3fx4bojii-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com

Starbucks gets a lot of flack for hyping up their seasonal or promotional beverages, but let's be honest: they're beautiful. Personally, I'd rather spend money on something I'm going to enjoy looking at and ingesting, so Starbucks is the perfect intersection for me.

The most recent promo is the Cinnamon Shortbread, available iced, hot, or Frappuccino. That being said, you better believe I'm waiting anxiously for the next release.

In the meantime, I try weird concoctions with seasonal items. For example, the Cinnamon Shortbread features the Brown Butter sauce (which is thick as all get out). That means I'm getting it hot, so it's nice and melted, but I'll probably mix it with some White Mocha and Blonde Espresso. It's about getting crafty, that's how you'll find the perfect drink for you.

With that, don't go falling in love with promotional items, they're only here for so long. Get your fill, and start your search for the next creative fix.

Now I know that Starbucks can seem mainstream, or basic, or overcommercialized, but I think I know a way to get around what you see on social media. Talk to your barista. Tell them what you're looking for, and what are your likes and dislikes. The other night I came home with a smile on my face because I'd bonded with a guest over our love for the bizarre combination of White Mocha sauce and Raspberry syrup.

The people behind the counter almost always have a favorite item on the menu, and chances are they're happy to share it with you. So if you're a coffee addict, a new player on the field, a staunch abstainer, or even a barista yourself, I encourage you to explore your options next time you step into a Starbucks. You may just find the right brew for you.