Barbie Coloring Pages for girls - DDC123

Download more Barbie Coloring Pages at DDC123: Barbie da colorare. Barbie was "born" the day Mattel president and Barbie inventor Ruth Handler debuted the doll at the American International Toy Fair in New York.

19
  • Barbie was "born" the day Mattel president and Barbie inventor Ruth Handler debuted the doll at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
  • Ruth decided to create a three-dimensional doll when she saw her daughter playing with paper dolls, pretending they were students, cheerleaders and career women.
  • Barbie's physical appearance was inspired by Bild Lilli, a German doll created in 1952, which was based on a high-quality call girl named Lilli, featured in the Bild-Zeitung comic strip. It was sold as an adult novelty in bars and tobacconists – definitely not a children's toy. Ruth saw the Bild Lilli doll while on vacation in Europe and brought her home.
  • Barbie is named after Ruth and Elliot Handler's daughter, Barbara. Barbara attended the ceremony for the immortalization of Barbie's hand and footprints in cement on Hollywood Boulevard in 2002.
  • Ken was named after Handler Kenneth's son - meaning that Barbie and Ken, one of the world's most famous fictional couples, were actually inspired by a brother and sister.
  • Barbie and Ken broke ties in 2004, then reunited on Valentine's Day 2011. "Barbie" told her Facebook fans that her "heart only beats for Ken."
  • After her breakup with Ken, Barbie had a new male companion doll named Blaine Gordon.
  • Barbie has seven siblings. Skipper was introduced in 1964. Twins Todd and Tutti were around from 1965 to 1971. Stacie hit shelves in 1990. Kelly was sold from 1994 to 2010. Chelsea was introduced in 2011 as a replacement for Kelly. Barbie's younger sister Krissy was sold as part of a set with Barbie and Ken from 1998 to 2001.