Bands That I Will Forever Be Thankful For

Because music is a blessing.

14
Beginners Guitar Studio

Thanksgiving is just around the corner, y'all. That means it's time to count your blessings, and one of the things I'm thankful to be blessed with is music. Particularly, the music produced by these artists:

1. Muse

Not gonna lie, I have Stephanie Meyer (yes, the lady who wrote "Twilight") to thank for introducing me to this band. Way back when the vampire fad was a thing, I read in an interview that Muse's blend of heavy guitar riffs, classical notes and electronica helped Meyer to work through bouts of writer's block. Since I, too, wanted to be a writer, I figured I'd give the group a go- and fell in love with their rebellious sound. If you're a fan of songs about civil distress, check out "Uprising:"

2. Franz Ferdinand

In high school, I spent hours in my room listening to Sirius Alt Radio and writing down the songs I wanted to add to my blue iPod nano, which is how I came across this band. Now a junior in college, I still dig Franz Ferdinand's post-punk, dance-rock vibes. You've probably heard "Take Me Out" at some point, even if you didn't realize it:

3. Arctic Monkeys

I only started to get into the Arctic Monkeys this past year, and they've really grown on me. The band has experimented with a mixture of different styles including indie rock and, like Franz Ferdinand, post-punk revival. I've found that songs from AM are particularly satisfying to listen to late at night while getting ready to go out or when you can't sleep. My current favorite is "Knee Socks:"

4. The 1975

At this point, you may or may not have noticed that the past 3 musical groups hail from the UK. The same is true for The 1975 (I guess I've just been on a British band kick, save for Franz Ferdinand of Scottish origins). I actually heard a cover of the band's arguably-most-popular song, "Chocolate," before I listened to the original track. Since I've been introduced, The 1975 has held a special place in my heart. I've had "She's American" on repeat for weeks:

5. Gorillaz

When I'm in the mood to listen to something... unique... Gorillaz (also from England) is absolutely my go-to. I first heard "Feel Good Inc." in fourth grade and once I excitedly received Demon Days as a birthday gift, there was no going back. For those unfamiliar, there are four animated characters that make up the band- 2D, Murdoc, Russel and Noodle, who can be seen dancing around her bedroom in the GIF above. Behind the scenes are Damon Albarn and Jamie Hewlett. Stylistic genres include alt-rock, electronica, and hip-hop. Check out the video for "Stylo" featuring Bruce Willis:

6. Paramore

Ah, Paramore. I remember hearing "Misery Business" on the radio like it was yesterday. I've always admired Hayley Williams, for everything from her hair, to her voice, to her determination to express herself through creative means. She was the goddess my former scene kid aspired to be. I still appreciate the band to this day, especially this song:

7. The Killers

I have always personally considered Muse and The Killers to be not necessarily twins, but brothers. Their sounds are remarkably similar, both embodying a fusion of alternative rock and the use of synths. Everyone and their mother has heard "Mr. Brightside," but "Spaceman" is just as great:

And of course, the holy trinity...

8. Panic! at the Disco

Next up we have Panic! at the Disco, one third of the 2000s-era emo kid's musical triad. No one sounds quite like this band. Their music has been categorized into several genres such as pop rock, pop punk and baroque pop. I, for one, think that they belong to a genre that is solely their own, as a plethora of styles have been used to create their signature sound. Not to mention, their music videos are always super entertaining and artistic. If you're a Stranger Things fan, take a look at the video for "LA Devotee" featuring Noah Schnapp:

9. My Chemical Romance

Here we have my favorite band in the entire world, which has sadly disbanded and left me with minimal hope that they will ever reunite to create music together once more. Well, it's still possible to enjoy My Chem's elements of punk, pop and alternative rock even without the promise of eventual new music. It's 100% impossible for me to pick a favorite song that this band has produced, because I love most of them equally. However, "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W" is one track I listen to quite often:

10. Fall Out Boy

At this point, if you haven't heard of Fall Out Boy, you probably have been living under a rock. What started out as a fixture in the Chicago punk scene in the early 2000s has grown into a pop-punk powerhouse that is widely renowned. I had the pleasure of seeing Fall Out Boy, along with Paramore and New Politics, during the Monumentour in 2014 and it was one of the best days of my life. Here's the music video for "Save Rock and Roll" featuring Elton John, the 11th and final video in a series of concept videos for the album Save Rock and Roll:

All of these bands have impacted my life n one way or another, and so I am thankful for their existence. Hopefully others familiar with them share my love, and those who are just now discovering these groups grow partial to them as well!