Unknown Bands

5 Bands You've Probably Never Heard Of

These are the bands hiding in the record store...

151
5 Bands You've Probably Never Heard Of
DIYMAG

As I've searched for the type of music that most makes me happy, I've come across the good, the bad, and the dirty. I've gone through tons of bands that have questioned the music of today but I've also come across music that made me fond of genres I never thought I would like. These five bands were a few of the bands that I liked and I was shocked that not many people knew about them, so here I am today telling you about them today.

1. Mom Jeans.

https://emmiemusic.com/2018/02/02/mom-jeans-on-their-music-and-influences/

This California band consisting of four members dropped their first independent album, Best Buds, in 2016 and have been keeping a steady following throughout the years of making an album with another band and losing two of their members. Their music consists of mellow guitar riffs and an occasional brass instrument thrown in there. I recommend "Scott Pilgrim v. My GPA" from their album, "Best Buds", as a first listen.

2. The Hotelier

http://underthegunreview.net/tag/the-hotel-year/

A Massachusetts band that formed in high school were not well known outside the state until their album, Home, Like Noplace Is There, broke out as an "emo revival" and gained attention through social media outlets. The mix of sad ballads and heavy lyrics will immediately transport you back to your emo days and find you another band to obsess over. Ironically, I recommend "An Introduction to the Album" from their album, Home, Like Noplace Is There, as a first listen.

3. Chastity Belt

http://www.viesmag.com/2016/06/27/chastity-belt-live-vancouver/

An all-girl rock group from Washington formed at Whitman College and has been creating music ever since 2010. They made their first album," No Regerts", with a different studio album than their two recent albums and have since progressed their music abilities and techniques. The most distinct sound they have is the haunting vocals that transport you in time to somewhere else and guitar riffs that remind you of something that's never happened before. I recommend "It's Obvious" from their third studio album, I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone" as a first listen.

4. The Obsessives

This two-man band that formed in 2013, consists of best friends from Washington D.C. that original went for an emo sound but developed into a more indie-rock sound. They have put out many EP's that have been produced by the labels, Lame-O and Near Mint and have recently put out a self-titled album in 2017. The simple but deep lyrics and catchy guitar riffs will stick in your head all day. I recommend "Surfer Rosa" from their self-titled album as a first listen.

5. Turnover

https://turnover.bandcamp.com/album/peripheral-vision

A band with a lot of past members formed in 2009 in Virginia Beach and have been putting out music constantly to their fans. They are signed with Run for Cover and have toured with many other bands to gain a following of emo, indie rock, and indie pop fans. Their second studio album, Peripheral vision, is their most well-known album and has created an even more following when their third studio album, Good Nature, came out in 2017. Their music has the ability to make you connect with how they are feeling and make you have your own interpretation of their music. I recommend "Intrapersonal" from their album, "Peripheral Vision", as a first listen.