6 Reasons Bali Should Be On Your Bucket List

This place is far from artificial.

130
Sim Tumay

As I walked out of the airport at Denpasar, Indonesia for my Spring Break vacation, I immediately felt an overwhelming feeling of unfamiliarity and confusion. Even after all of my previous travels, this was truly the first time that I felt so much culture shock. Bali was the first third world country that I have ever traveled to and I experienced so many unfamiliar things. Previously, I had pictured Bali to be a “luxury” resort island where people escape for their honeymoons or a week of ultimate relaxation.

This “luxurious,” five-star resort image immediately vanished. Bali ended up exceeding my expectations and was spiritually and culturally awakening. Being in Bali, the tourists were presented with so many opportunities to immerse themselves in the Balinese culture. I had never previously been presented with the opportunity to partake in another cultures’ sacred traditions until I traveled to the island of Bali.

1. Chances to Immerse yourself in the culture:

I got the opportunity to travel to several distant temples in Bali in which I had to dress properly in the sacred ritual attire. One of the temples that I had the honor of visiting was on top of a cliff at the north end of Bali called Uluwatu Temple. This experience was truly awakening because there were locals coming in for their weekend worship. I was welcomed to the rituals and got to watch the musical performances that the Balinese people were putting on. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to embrace Hindu rituals, dressed in the traditional attire, on the top of a mountain, surrounded by native Balinese people. Also, I got the chance to partake in a Balinese offering making class in which I learned how to make a traditional and symbolic offering that all natives place in front of their homes in order to summon the good spirits.

2. The organic, fresh food:

All of the food was very fresh and locally grown. The well-known cafes had many vegan, environmentally friendly options and all of the utensils were sustainable. All of the cafes had an incredible ambiance and was decorated with plants and nature. The cafes had a message of promoting a sustainable way of life and all of the produce was locally grown. On the 90-degree weather days, a cold smoothie or acai bowl at one of the organic cafes was the perfect way to cool off and refresh yourself.

3. The beach clubs:

Around sunset hour, the beach clubs are all loaded with both locals and tourists who go to enjoy the breathtaking sunsets. There are live performers or dj’s who play authentic music to help set the tone for golden hour on the beautiful beaches of Bali. The beach clubs are also a great opportunity to meet new people from all around the world. I met several locals along with people from Australia, Spain, France, and even America. You lose track of time and sit back after a long day of adventures just to have a refreshing drink and watch the sunset on the horizon.

4. The exotic wildlife:

As you walk around the tropical island of Bali, you encounter unique wildlife in many different scenarios. As you walk down to any of the hidden beaches, there are several monkeys hanging around the trees and the water. They tend to stay away from the locals and tourists; however, if they scout out something that they want, they aren’t afraid to attack. I witnessed a foreign couple get jumped by a monkey for their bag of potato chips. Also, in Ubud, the jungle part of the island, there is a Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary in which most of the monkeys live in. This was an experience unlike anything else that I had ever gotten the opportunity to partake in because we got to interact with wild monkeys. This was unlike any other animal-tourist attraction that I had ever witnessed because it wasn’t a petting zoo situation. Rather, you were able to just roam through the monkey forest sanctuary and monkeys would jump on your shoulder or approach you. This monkey forest excursion was a very unique experience with the most sacred animal on the island of Bali.

5. The natural wonders:

Driving down the mountainous roads of Bali, are several hidden gems. There are many acres of rice fields and greenery that you encounter no matter where you go. My sister and I head out one morning in Bali with a tour guide from the hotel. However, unlike any other tour that I had ever been on, this tour guide presented us with the ultimate, local experience. He took us to a hidden rice field that spanned many yards across the town. We walked through the rice fields in the pouring rain and this simple, yet magical experience was one of my most memorable experiences in Bali.

6. The locals:

All of the Balinese people that I met were living in impoverished conditions but they were the happiest population of people that I had ever encountered. All of the native Balinese people were always smiling, cracking jokes, or starting conversations with the Americans and other tourists. They treated tourists with hospitality, respect, and honor. They welcomed the tourists to celebrate and embrace their culture through inviting them to sacred rituals at the temples or ceremonies.

Once I returned from Bali, I realized that I had never previously experienced so much culture shock. I am grateful for the experiences that I had in Bali and am honored that I had the chance to immerse myself in a culture that is drastically different than any other form of culture in the United States. Overall, the Balinese experience was genuine, natural, and welcoming rather than artificial and “touristy.”