ways to balance your season job an summer activites
Summer

6 Ways To Balance Your Seasonal Job And Summer Activities

College students can have the best of both worlds.

65
Erin Welsh
Erin Welsh

School is out for the summer which means no more studying, late-night cram sessions, or never-ending assignments! Free time becomes available, but sitting around for three months is impossible for the typical working teenager. As a Ride's Operator at King's Island, I have spent four summers working long weeks to obtain spending money and pay for college expenses. Sometimes the hardest thing to do involves taking a breather from earning money to find time for relaxation before the fall.

Here are six tactics a workaholic can use to manage a busy summer schedule.

1. Request time off in advance.

If you have a flexible summer job that allows you to put time-off requests in prior to busier months, utilize it as much as possible. Allow yourself at least one or two days a week where you are able to spend time with friends and personal time to try new things. You can still work close to 40 or more hours a week, even with a few free days.

2. Set a goal for an amount to earn or items to purchase.

Have a plan in mind of the hours you need to work this summer to save for a car, tuition, rent, etc. You could keep track of your paychecks biweekly in an Excel spreadsheet to keep organized. By doing so, your expenses will be apparent while making decisions on the activities to enjoy this summer.

3. Make a summer bucket list.

Try to come up with 10-15 things you would like to achieve this summer. This list could include activities you've been unable to get back into such as enjoying a good book series, hiking, or journaling. Also, set a few goals to conquer a fear or go on an adventure. Summertime allows you to be spontaneous, take all the chances you can get on your days off.

4. Enjoy forming work relationships.

When you are stuck in 40-50 hour work weeks, take time to get to know the people on your crew that you're spending the entire summer with. Engage in some of the outings that might be hosted! This will allow teamwork to improve and you might even make some new close friends.

5. Improve yourself.

It's your chance this summer to take a chance at strengthening yourself. You can try working on any of your weaknesses or qualities that can help you become a better person!

6. Summer is time for fun!

Get out to explore new places and events. Try to schedule time to hang out with friends, go to concerts, have a campfire, etc. It's time to enjoy a much needed break from classes. Make it the best summer!

When you think you've been spending too much time lying around or extended amount of hours at work, make sure to check these methods out to balance your summer.

As college students, we still have time to be kids. Get outside, enjoy some fresh air, and make sure you make the most out of your job or the events you plan!