Baking Should Be Your New Favorite Hobby

It's fun to do alone or with others and it (almost) always ends well!

13
https://www.pexels.com/photo/person-flattening-dough-with-rolling-pin-1251179/

With some of my free time this summer I've been baking. Since I don't have a kitchen at school this was something that I missed during the year and always looked forward to doing when I came home on breaks. Okay so more like I looked forward to eating my mom's baked goods when I came home but now I have developed an interest in learning this craft myself.

As a kid growing up with a severe nut allergy, I rarely ate baked goods from my friends' houses and even less frequently from bakeries as the risk of cross contamination and my own anxiety over the possibility of a reaction stopped me more times than not. My mom always made cookies and brownies and cupcakes and cakes at home so me and my brother felt safe eating the desserts since we didn't have that luxury anywhere else but our own nut free kitchen. I have grown up devouring my mom's baked goods and now I want to be able to make my own.

Baking is fun for so many reasons but one of the things that I love about it is the endless possibilities. I can spend hours on Pinterest looking at recipes. You can make a healthy dessert or a completely indulgent one. Any flavor combination you can think of there is a recipe for it and I'm sure it's easier to make than you think it is.

Baking is something that's relaxing even if you don't do it alone. It's a dedicated hour or two when all you're worried about is the ingredients in front of you. You can listen to music in the background, laugh with your friend or family member while they help you. Even if the dessert doesn't come out the way you expected or you forgot to put more vanilla in, the act of baking is what makes it fun. The stakes are low; it's not a big deal if the recipe is ruined, just make it again.

If you're looking for a new hobby this what you have been looking for. The possibilities are endless and you can create whatever you want from the comfort of your own home. Plus you get to eat delicious baked goods when you're done and that's pretty awesome.