These 13 Badass Female Sci-Fi Characters Will Make You Proud To Be A Woman

The ultimate role models for 2018.

924
Facebook

Despite being a genre that was literally created by a woman, Science Fiction is traditionally seen as a male-dominated genre, especially in film and television. However, despite the imbalance behind the scenes, more and more women are seeing science fiction films now than ever. In 2014, it was reported that 44 percent of the "Guardians of the Galaxy" audience was female.

In 2017, the audience for "Wonder Woman" was pretty evenly split between male and female viewers, and "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" had an audience that was 43 percent female.

While some may argue that women are seeing these films for the attractive male leads, or being begrudgingly dragged along by husbands and boyfriends, it is far more likely that most of these women simply enjoy these types of films and appreciate seeing strong representations of women.

To encourage even more women to watch more sci-fi, or to re-inspire current fans, here are 13 badass, strong, inspirational women from science fiction films and television series.

1. The women of "Star Wars"

I could make a whole list of incredible female characters from Star Wars (I actually have written about a few of them before). There are too many to list them all individually, but they're all too important to forget.

Each woman in the "Star Wars" universe is an individual. They are not the same character over and over! Some are really feminine and diplomatic, while others are violent and ruthless. There are princesses, scavengers, villains, Jedi, ancient mugglers, and military generals! There's a character for everyone to relate to!

2. Ellen Ripley, "Alien"

One of the original badass ladies! Ripley was tough, smart, and brave - a perfect formula for a kickass heroine!

3. Diana Prince/Wonder Woman, "Wonder Woman," "Justice League"

Diana is compassionate, loving, powerful, and she takes orders from no man! I mean, come on! There's nothing more empowering than Wonder Woman! And that No-Man's Land scene? I cry every time!

4. The Danvers Sisters, "Supergirl"

These two are both incredible, unique characters who showcase their strength in different ways. Alex is a kickass agent, while Kara is a literal alien superhero.

Alex is tough, while Kara is optimistic. They're sisters with a super-close bond, showing that the love one has for their family can be just as significant to a plot as a romantic interest. Plus, Alex is a badass LGBT character!

5. Gamora, "Guardians of the Galaxy"

Gamora is a deadly assassin, but she's also smart and driven. Her backstory is fascinating, because she was the daughter of Thanos (yep, the big villian in the upcoming "Avengers: Infinity War"), but she ultimately becomes a hero.

6. Lt. Uhura, "Star Trek"

It's impossible to talk about badass, significant women in Sci-Fi without mentioning Lt. Uhura. Culturally, this character is super important because she was one of the first black women to appear as a major character in science fiction.

7. Agent Peggy Carter, "Captain America: The First Avenger," "Marvel's Agent Carter"

Peggy Carter is brilliant, strong, feminine, brave, compassionate, and all that is good and pure in the world. She doesn't have any super abilities, she's just a regular human, but she does everything she can to help and protect as many people as possible. She's a brilliant leader, and ultimately one of the greatest characters from the MCU.

8. Cosima Niehaus, "Orphan Black"

Cosima is one of the MANY clones played by Tatiana Maslany on "Orphan Black," but she might be the most popular. She's an eccentric, brilliant Ph.D. student in Experimental Evolutionary Developmental Biology at the University of Minnesota. She's also a lesbian, and her relationship with researcher Delphine Cormier is one of the msot popular relationships in the series.

9. Agent Dana Scully, "The X-Files"

Ever the cynic, Agent Scully believes only in hard science, not in the psuedo-scientific things her partner, Agent Mulder, chases. She's tough, funny, compassionate, and sticks to what she believes in.

10. Michonne, "The Walking Dead"

Michonne came into "The Walking Dead" fans' lives leading two walkers on chains behind her, and she's become more complex and fascinating as the series has progressed. She's a fierce fighter, nurturing mother (even after losing her child), and she's compassionate without becoming a doormat.

11. River Song, "Doctor Who"

"Hello Sweetie!"

Her story may center around her romance with The Doctor, but don't let that fool you! She's a brilliant, complex character who has a rich life outside of her relationship with The Doctor (and she never lets him forget it!). She's also the only character who knows how to properly fly the TARDIS...

12. Eleven, "Stranger Things"

Sure, she's just a kid, but you definitely don't want to mess with her! With her telekinetic abilities and fierce loyalty, Eleven is someone you want on your side, not against you!

13. Buffy Summers, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer"

Buffy is such a unique character in Science Fiction! She's a feminine, tiny cheerleader who happens to fight vampires and demons in her spare time! She completely misses the "not like other girls" trope that most traditional "strong female characters" fall into!