How To Deal With A Bad Roommate

You Got A Bad Roommate... Now What?!

Not everyone is lucky enough to have their best friend and roommate all in one, so here's how I managed to make the most of challenging rooming situations and avoided those roommate horror stories.

58
You Got A Bad Roommate... Now What?!
Ethan WIlliamson

We all want to find that perfect person to have all our college firsts with. We spend hours posting and scrolling through our class Facebook pages hoping to find that one person we want want to live with. We hope that this person will become our best friend and experience the ups and downs of the next four years with us. For some of us, this is exactly what happens, but for me, it was a whole other story. After having a series of less than ideal roommates, I have definitely learned a thing or two about coexisting with different types of people.

Here are some helpful tips to avoid those horror stories and at least be able to tolerate the other person:

1. Run.

If the person you're living with is legitimately psycho and it's still early enough in the year, try and switch! Nothing I mention below is going to work if you're not dealing with a reasonable person. Sure it's a hassle to move all your stuff, but it might just be worth it.

2. If switching isn'y an option, communication between the two of you is going to be key!

Odds are if you don't like your roommate, they aren't your biggest fan either. Both of you have to survive the year though, so at least be able to hold a mature conversation about any concerns.

3. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns though—you have to stand up for yourself. 

Admittedly, I am the worst at this, but looking back on things, so many problems could have been avoided this way. Confronting someone can be really uncomfortable at times, but it's an important skill you have to learn and the only way to fix anything. This needs to be done in person and not over text. Being passive-aggressive only works for so long.

4. Keep in mind that the space is equally theirs as it is yours. 

So if you want to get that yogurt from the fridge but they have friends over, do it anyways! In the past, I have stayed in my room to avoid confrontation, which does not help the situation. Also, feel free to let your roommates know if they are blasting the music too loudly or not doing their share of cleaning.

5. Try working around their schedule to avoid unnecessary problems. 

If you want to have friends over or maybe even a boy, try doing it when your roommates have classes or after-school activities. This way you are not intruding on their personal space or interrupting their studying. Hopefully, they pick up on this and return the favor.

6. Have a friend come over to help out in a tricky situation. 

If your roommates are being unreasonable or you feel outnumbered, invite a friend over to make things less awkward. Not only is this an effective way to claim your space back, but it also causes your roommates to be nicer having guests around. Extra points if this friend is loud and extra... it may make your roommates want to leave the apartment.

7. Remember that your roommates hear EVERYTHING and I mean everything. 

Even if you think that they have headphones on and can't hear you, they can. Watch what you say when you know that your roommates are around because talking badly about them behind their backs will cause problems.

8. Try making a cleaning schedule if you feel not everyone is doing their share. 

Sure, this may sound a little elementary school, but when the work is divided up equally into smaller tasks, people are more likely to do it. Just make sure that you do this as early in the year as possible because suddenly deciding to do so second semester will not work.

9. Learn to compromise. 

You're not always going to get what you want, no matter how nicely you may ask. Sometimes you just have to give in and accept that your roommate is not going to listen. In this case, leave the apartment and hang out with a friend or hide out in the library! Agree on a time for the party to be over, and next time, they should work around your needs.

At the end of the day, keep in mind that you and your roommates just have to be civil. Being close friends with your roommates is just an added bonus. This living arrangement is only temporary, and you will survive. Plus, it could lead to some interesting stories.