Why Are New Jersey's Roads So Bad?
Politics

If You're A Frequent NJ Commuter, You Should Be Concerned About New Jersey's Failing Roads

Repairing these roads are essential in order to create a convenient and safe travel system and jumpstart the lagging economy.

152
View of roads and highways from above

The glaring issue on the roads of New Jersey has skyrocketed to become the biggest problem ever seen in the state. Harboring a score of "D" for the quality of its roads and a commute rate 20% longer than the American average, the transportation paths in the Garden State are, simply put, crumbling and deficient. Repairing these roads are essential in order to create a convenient and safe travel system and jumpstart the lagging economy. While New Jersey has various advantages to utilize, the government has failed to exploit these assets, and as a result, the funds for public transits are rapidly running out.

In the past, the Transportation Trust Fund was financing the reconstruction for the roads of New Jersey. However, due to wildly growing debt labor payments, this account is very limited on money. Increasing the gas tax is a favored option by many government officials as a new source of funding. By raising this tax, which is the nation's second lowest, by 25 cents would add a significant $1.25 billion into the trust fund. However, many New Jersey residents refuse to pay extra money for gas. Already living in one of the highest taxed and biggest wealth disparity states, the middle and lower class believe this would create devastation.

In order to reach the win-win situation, both sides must be willing to sacrifice. Imposing a bill that includes higher gas tax needs to be done, but the government should use their other funds to invest in fixing the roads. With the Garden State Parkway collecting tons of money through tolls and New Jersey having an abundant amount of welfare programs, a portion of these funds should go towards the roads. Also, as stated above, using advantages such as being located to various city attractions like New York City, Boston, and Philadelphia, and having one of the better public schools in the nation to incentify the people to come and use the roads of New Jersey are ways to gain more money.