My 'Backup School' As A Transfer Became The Best Thing To Ever Happen To Me

I knew getting into the top journalism school in the country was supposed to be exciting, but I just wasn't as excited as I should have been.
81

After my first year of college, I decided to transfer. I decided I wanted more for myself than what I was currently getting, and while I knew it was going to be a big choice, it was also what I had to do.

I knew I would miss my friends, but I also promised myself to never become complacent in my education. I had to uphold that promise to myself and go elsewhere when I felt that happening in my field of study.

I applied to six universities as a transfer student, and Temple, well, Temple was the last one on my list. I hated city life, it was way bigger than I wanted and honestly, I just wasn't sure it was the school for me.

I was accepted at my top choice university as a transfer, and I was all set to commit until I heard the dreaded words, "We don't give academic scholarships to transfers."

I felt crushed. I couldn't really afford $60,000 a year in schooling. I would be passing my debt on to my kids when I die at that rate.

That's when it started to look like I would end up at Temple.

The last school on my list.

My backup school.

Nonetheless, as the cheapest school with the best program, I committed--feeling excited about the education I would get but nervous about the school environment itself.

Two years later as I get ready to graduate, I realize that going to Temple was the best decision I could have made for myself.

My backup school quickly went from feeling like just that... the school I really wasn't sure if I wanted to be at... to the school I knew I wanted to be at and should be at.

From the friends I've made to the clubs I have joined to the professors I have had, Temple has given me two of the best years of my life.

Are there days that I sometimes wonder what my life would be like had I attended the $60,000 school? Sure! I think we're always bound to wonder about the unknown, it's sort of human nature.

But when asked if I regret my decision to come to Temple, I can say the most resounding "no" of all time.

So as I get ready to graduate and enter the "real world" here's a little shoutout to my backup school, I guess you were alright.