5 Tips On Beating The 'Freshman Flu'

5 Tips On Beating The 'Freshman Flu'

You know you're a freshman in college when you become used to the nauseating taste of cold medicine.

321
5 Tips On Beating The 'Freshman Flu'
Emily Davis

You're Freshman in College, living on campus in one of the many dorms, going out every weekend, and meeting a ton of new people. You're living in a brand new place, hanging out with brand new people and coming into contact with brand new germs. So, don't be so surprised when you start having a sore throat or a runny nose the first few weeks of college.

Everybody will eventually come down with some sort of illness by the end of the year but following these few tips will definitely help relieve the all too common "Freshman Flu."

1. Vitamins!!!!!!

I know this seems pretty obvious, but listen to your mom when she calls every day asking if you've taken your vitamins. Besides that, vitamins are pretty self-explanatory.

2. Always carry cough drops

You don't want to be the person in your lecture that's coughing up a lung in the back row, Trust me, always carry a bag of cough drops with you.

3. Don't mix alcohol and cold medicine

Again, this one is pretty self-explanatory. Don't think that taking a shot of NyQuil is a good way to pregame because trust me, it's not.

4. Good hygiene 

Although this may seem like a pretty obvious way to avoid getting sick, not keeping your dorm/suite clean is one of the biggest reasons that so many freshmen get sick each year.

5. Stay in and relax

I know there can be a ton a pressure the first couple weeks to go out every weekend, but if you're starting to feel sick, do yourself and everyone a favor and don't go out. Not only will it make you feel worse, you'll probably get other people sick too.