7 Problematic Stores To Avoid Giving Your Money To, And Alternative Places To Shop

Racist, sexist, homophobic and greedy companies just don't deserve our money.

2629
Unsplash

Many people are not aware that many of the stores they shop at on the daily have some questionable history. No one wants their hard-earned money going to a company that supports ideals that are against what they "claim" to believe in. Here are a few stores that have come under fire for questionable practices, as well as alternative stores with less sketchy morals.

1. The Salvation Army.

Most people want a way to give back to their community and think that donating old clothes and shopping at the Salvation Army is the perfect way to do this, but the Salvation Army has come under fire for quite a few things. First off, they have been reported to give money to anti-gay and pro-life foundations. Also, first-hand accounts of their shelters have revealed abusive and negligent tendencies.

Try Instead: Giving clothes to your local homeless shelter, church or a local thrift store.

2. Urban Outfitters.

Urban Outfitters is one of many "hipster" shops that has come under a lot more fire than you may think. There is a myriad of cases of UO stealing designs from independent designers and giving them no credit. UO CEO, Richard Hayne, has also donated a large sum of money from the business to anti-LGBT foundations. While that may seem bad, what is worse are the piles of racist, sexist, and straight out offensive items including a racist Monopoly game, a blood-stained Kent State sweatshirt, a shirt and a tapestry that reference the Holocaust and a xenophobic shirt. Here's a full list.

Try Instead: Scrolling through Etsy or Tumblr to find little shops that make what you're looking for.

3. Forever 21.

Forever 21 is best known for their cheap, wear-once clothing, but the reason their clothes are so cheap is because they buy their cotton from Uzbekistan factories, which have a long history of underpaying and abusing their workers. Forever 21 has under come under fire from many independent and big-time designers for stealing designs.

Try Instead: Searching for independent designers that have unique clothing; the price will be worth it.

4. Walmart.

Walmart is the #1 reason you don't see as many mom-and-pop stores in your hometown. These big companies come in, with lawyers and a multi-billion dollar backing budget and run all of the little stores out of town. They're able to sell so much of their product for so much lower than everywhere else because over half of their products come from overseas factories who do not have the best working conditions or salaries. Walmart has also been reported as paying the women who work for their company far less than the men.

Try Instead: Finding a local grocer, their prices might be a little more, but you are helping your community.

5. Goodwill.

While you may think that all of the old clothes and furniture you donate to your local Goodwill would be put into that store and sold right back to your community, that isn't always the case. A lot of the donations are marked up and sold in an online store to maximize profits. Some of the nicer things--anything designer, new clothes, nice furniture-- might end up in Goodwill "boutiques" where they are sold for almost the same price as retail. While you may be thinking that it's a good thing that they are making large amounts of money to help further their goal of hiring those in need, the money isn't going to their workers, who often get paid less than minimum wage, but to the CEO who earns upward of a million dollars.

6. Hobby Lobby.

Hobby Lobby has refused to offer coverage for birth control in their workers' health care packages, claiming religious reasons. This doesn't stop them from investing retirement plans into birth control manufacturers. Does anyone smell a hypocrite?

Try Instead: Local craft stores, or online craft retailers.

7. Abercrombie & Fitch.

Abercrombie and Fitch was a staple for the "cool kids" in high school, but, up until 2014, the company refused to stock XL and XXL women's clothes because they didn't think women of that size "fit their brand." It may seem great that they now carry those sizes, but one of their child companies, "Brandy Melville," is a "one size fits most" brand. The company also came under fire after claiming that they only hire "attractive people" because they attract other attractive people, and those are the people they want shopping at their store.

Try Instead: Stores like American Eagle.

I know it may be hard to nearly impossible for some people to stop shopping at these stores, but, for those of you who can, it is important that you do. These companies are only still companies because people think that, just because they turn the other cheek, nothing these companies did matters. It does.