Later this summer I will be making my way back up to one of my favorite places on the globe. That's right. I'm going to NYC! After you've seen all of the "iconic stuff" at least five times, it's time to branch out and see the real New York.
1. Focus on smaller or off-Broadway shows
My personal recommendations include Saint Joan or Come From Away on Broadway, Othello at The Public, and Songs For A New World at The New York City Center.
2. Stay away from the chains and big name stores
Although their size and familiarity may seem tempting, there's too much good local product and incredible deals to waste your time and money. You can just get this stuff offline anyway.
3. Get out of the City
Hyde Park is just one example of a breathtaking little stop not too far for a half-day trip! (and soooo worth it).
4. Take advantage of public transit
Cabs are overrated and overpriced.
5. Go searching for public art
The city itself is artwork. Make it a game and go find the strangest piece you can.
6. Take a peek in the public libraries
The libraries are always full of activities and they have some of the most interesting architecture on Manhattan.
7. Spot future comedy legends @ Upright Citizens Brigade
8. Chow down in Brooklyn or Queens
It's probably cheaper and much more diverse in options! This is not the time for Olive Garden or McDonald's.
9. Pop into all the unique museums
The weirder the better.