What To Do To Avoid Catching Some Z's While Studying

If you've got assignments due, it helps if you can stay awake.

61

We've all had those times where it's late and we are determined to finish an assignment, especially as the semester winds down, but we get all comfy and the next thing you know we're asleep. So here are 6 ways to avoid catching some z's while studying.

1. Drink water

Drinking water is a great way to keep yourself awake. The act of drinking something helps you to refocus on what you're doing. Water is refreshing and a great way to maintain the awareness of your mind. Plus, you're staying hydrated, which is always a good thing.

2. Uncomfortable chair

If you sit in an uncomfortable chair, you are more likely to be shifting and scooting around instead of sitting still. This is great because it keeps you from getting in a comfortable position and allowing your brain to shut down.

If you sit on a couch or a lazy boy, the likelihood of falling asleep multiplies greatly. Trust me, I have had this happen multiple times throughout my college experience.

3. Music

Music is a great way to keep your mind active. You can nod your head to the beat, tap your fingers, or just enjoy the upbeat music. I've found that when I have upbeat music playing in the background instead of silence or a TV show, I am able to stay awake and focus better.

4. Move around

Do jumping jacks, push-ups, walk to the kitchen and back, bounce in your seat, tap your foot. The options are endless. You can even follow Elle Woods' example and study while working out!

Staying active in any way is a great way to avoid the lull of sleep and get some studying done.

5. Snacks

Now with this one you've got to be careful. You don't want to get into the habit of eating too much or snacking regularly. So, when you use this tactic, make sure that you limit yourself or choose something healthy to snack on.

Snacking will help you to stay awake because it gives you something to do with your hands, most of the time it tastes good, and

6. Chew gum

Chewing gum is basically the same as snacking, however, you won't gain any weight from it. Chewing gum helps to keep you moving and there is always that fear of falling asleep while chewing it, ending up choking on it and then dying.

This fear can also turn out to be a strong motive for staying awake while studying.

Personally, I've found that the worst thing I can do when trying to study is to sit somewhere comfortable and quiet. I've found that all of these are great ways to stay aware and awake when I have to study.

I hope that these steps work for you and if you know of any other ways to avoid catching some z's while studying, feel free to comment!