7 Autumnal Words to Add to Your Vocabulary

A harvest cornucopia of autumnal locution.

229
whiteswan.co.uk

It finally feels like that time of year. It's cold, it's dreary and it is the perfect opportunity to curl up with your laptop or dictionary and some tea to learn some "unbe-leaf-abe" fall themed words (sorry).

1. Autumnal "of, characteristic of, or occurring in autumn"

Yes, this one is kind of a no brainer, but let's just use it more. It's just so fun to say.

2. Psychrophilic "thriving at a relatively low temperature"

Normally this word is used for certain types of bacteria but I encourage you to use it a little more loosely. One can never use to many multi-syllabic words.

3. Brumous "foggy, of grey skies"

You know when you wake up for your 7 a.m. and your looking for the right word to describe the gross cold grey autumnal morning? Here you go. Brumous has just the right sounds to convey your angst.

4. Psithurism "The sound of wind in the trees and rustling of leaves"

For those moments when your terrible "whoosh whoosh" sound effects don't cut it.

5. Feuillemort "having the color of a faded leaf"

Because "dead leaf color" sounds so much better in French...

6. Nemophilist "One who is fond of forests or forest scenery; a haunter of the woods."

I'll be honest. This sounds a little bit like necrophilia. Whatever.

7. Peiskos (Norwegian) "the feelings one gets as they sit in front of a fire enjoying it's warmth"

Is this language appropriation? Yes. Am encouraging you to do it anyway? Yes.