Drop The Book And Pick Up Your Headphones So You Can Listen To These 10 Audiobooks Immediately

Audibooks are a gift and here are 10 of my favorites.

59
Instagram

I started listening to audiobooks about two years ago when I started my desk job. They started as a great way to pass the time – reading and working at the same time is kind of brilliant – but now I am obsessed with them. I can read while I’m working, or cleaning, or driving, or exercising – okay that one doesn’t happen often, but the level of multitasking achieved while listening is pretty exciting for me.

There has definitely been a lull in my literature intake in the past couple of years – due to raising a child and the amount of fanfiction out there. But now, because of audiobooks, I’m back to being in love with published literature.

In the past two years, I have listened to great audiobooks, and unfortunately wasted hours on very poorly delivered ones as well. If you’re interested in listening to your next piece of literature here are my recommendations:

1. "The Raven Cycle" by Maggie Stiefvater

Narrator: Will Patton

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Will Patton narrates the entire cycle; you’ll know him from “Remember the Titans” – if you don’t know the movie “Remember the Titans” there is no hope for you and I need you to leave this article immediately. I have seen some reviews that Patton is wrong for these books, but that is completely false. These books were my first foray into audiobooks, and Patton’s performance is the reason I wanted to continue listening to audiobooks.

His delivery of emotion is spot-on, and all the different voices he takes on for the characters are brilliant. My personal favorite is the voice he uses for Joseph Kavinsky – I’d never want to read it any differently.

2. "The Curse Workers Series" by Holly Black

Narrator: Jesse Eisenberg

Rating: 5/5 Stars

This is another three-part series, and I guess I’m a sucker for celebrities voicing audiobooks because Jesse Eisenberg narrates this series. Eisenberg is well known for his role in “The Social Network” where he played Facebook’s creator, Mark Zuckerberg. His voice lends itself well to Cassel’s point of view. Cassel is a quirky narrator and Eisenberg nails it.

3. “Six of Crows,” and “Crooked Kingdom” by Leigh Bardugo

Narrator(s): Brandon Rubin, Jay Snyder, Elizabeth Evans, Fred Berman, Peter Ganim, Lauren Fortgang, Roger Clark, Kevin T. Collins

Rating: 4/5 Stars

“Crooked Kingdom” is a continuation of “Six of Crows,” and I wish every day that there was a third part to this series. There are six different points of views in this series, and the great thing about the audiobooks is that they use six different voices to narrate the books. There are some voices that I liked more than others, but ultimately every voice actor was able to achieve great things. These books are fast-paced, and the narration was able to keep up and have me on the edge of my seat.

4. “Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe” by Benjamin Alire Saenz

Narrator: Lin-Manuel Miranda

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Once again we return to the land of celebrity, Lin-Manuel Miranda narrates this book. I mean I think that’s incentive enough to give this book a listen, but if you’d like more the book itself is a must-read. I have always loved YA Lit, but when I was growing up all it seemed I could find was boy falls for girl. We have had an insurgency, recently, of Queer characters and it’s refreshing and incredibly important. I think Ari and Dante are two characters that will mean a lot to current and future readers. Miranda does a great service by voicing such an important story.

5. “Carry On” by Rainbow Rowell

Narrator: Euan Morton

Rating: 4/5 Stars

“Carry On” is “Harry Potter” meets every awkward teenage Rom-Com ever made. It does a great job of merging magical realism with mundane teenage angst. The voice actor can switch very cleanly from Simon’s nervous and awkward dribble to Baz’s smooth and confident narration.

6. “Big Little Lies” by Liane Moriarty

Narrator: Caroline Lee

Rating: 4/5 Stars

I started listening to this after the show was highly recommended to me. I always prefer to read the book before I watch the show/movie. I loved this book, and it deserves all the praise it has gotten. It treats domestic violence and rape very carefully, but also honestly. Caroline Lee can give such a strong voice to every female character, and I thought that was incredibly important for this ensemble.

7. “Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda” by Becky Albertalli

Narrator: Michael Crouch

Rating: 5/5 Stars

I have written about this book before, but I really cannot say enough about it. That narration is perfect, and Michael Crouch delivers Simon’s story perfectly. He brings the book to life and enhances the characters and their experiences. I’m thankful that my first interaction with this book was through audio narration because I think that’s a big reason why I am so in love with it.

8. “The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and, Virtue” by Mackenzie Lee

Narrator: Christian Coulson

Rating: 4/5 Stars

I finished this one this morning, and I could scream about it all day. The performance is brilliant, and Christian Coulson delivers Monty’s cockiness and confidence so well. But his voice is also soft enough to flow through Monty’s insecurities effortlessly.

9. “Call Me by Your Name” by Andre Aciman

Narrator: Armie Hammer

Rating: 4/5 Stars

I once again listened to this book in the prelude to the movie. I have to say this was one that was… uncomfortable to say the least to listen to while at work. This is definitely an adult book. Armie Hammer plays Oliver in the screen adaptation of “Call Me By Your Name,” and he was a perfect choice to narrate this story. His voice is soft yet commanding, and it blends well with the overall tone of the book.

10. “The Upside of Unrequited” by Becky Albertalli

Narrator: Arielle DeLisle

Rating: 5/5 Stars

Okay, so I’m not even finished with this one. I have about four more hours, and if I can’t finish it tonight, I’ll be finishing it at my desk tomorrow. I cannot express how incredibly amazing this book is. It deals with some weighty subject for YA Lit, but it does so genuinely and respectfully. Becky Albertalli is seriously a gift for this generation and the ones to come.

Her books are relatable, and this book has brought me right back to high school. Arielle DeLisle is a perfect choice for this story – a young voice with enough maturity to convey the importance of the issues addressed.