Atlantic City, The Town I Call Home

Atlantic City, The Town I Call Home

It's becoming known for a lot more than glitzy casinos, the Jersey shore, and the playground.

24
Atlantic City, The Town I Call Home
http://photopin.com/free-photos/atlantic-city-

Atlantic City, New Jersey— to some, it's known as the city of glitzy casinos, the Jersey shore, and the playground. Visitors flock there to enjoy the beach, the Boardwalk, great dining, great shows and celebrations.

It's a town where families can have fun and vacation together, it's a town rich with history, and it’s a town that I call home. I have memories of my mom taking me to the beach to meet family and friends, my two sisters and me dressing alike for the Easter Parade, and attending my first Miss America Pageant.

With the recent articles I've been reading and everything that's been going on, it seems Atlantic City is becoming known for a lot more than the things I mentioned above. For one, the crime rate has risen tremendously! It's ranked 21 on the list of the 100 most dangerous cities in the United States. Two, it's never really recovered economically from the destructive hurricane in 2012, hurricane Sandy; last year Atlantic City sadly had the highest foreclosure rate in the country. Lastly, in a few weeks, the city could run out of money and risk being taken over by the state.

It looks like Atlantic City employees will work without pay for 22 days from April 8th through May 2nd, which is when the city receives its second quarter property tax payment. But thank goodness, the dedicated workers of the police and fire departments will volunteer their time and report for duty. This city's shutdown could have an extremely negative affect not only on Atlantic City but on the entire region, not to mention all the pockets of the hard working employees, along with jeopardizing the safety of all tourists and residents.

By searching the hashtag that was created, #SaveAtlanticCity, you can learn more about what's going on with Atlantic City. I know the city will find a way to overcome these challenges, and things will turn around. I know it will take some time, and I don't know if Atlantic City will ever be the town I once called home, but I'm excited to see what's to come.