12 Things You Can Do For A Stay At Home Spring Break

Get a new perspective on home... you might not be missing out as much as you think!

34

It's that time of year again: college students are last-minute planning their Spring Break trips. But let's face it, in college, how many of us actually have an abundance of money to spend on a fancy Spring Break trip? Sure, if your parents are floating the bill, then, by all means, take the all-expense-paid trip to Mexico. But finding a trip that works financially for an entire friend group can be a lot harder than you think.

Which means that, in reality, it's likely you'll end up not going anywhere at all. And when that happens, it can be really depressing to see all those elaborate Instagram photos of people who did get to go to some exotic locale. But, home (or campus if that's where you stay), can actually be a lot of fun. Here are 12 things that you can do on a stay at home Spring Break that'll be (almost) as fun as an exotic vacation:

1. Catch up on sleep.

media.giphy.com

Because well all know that we haven't been getting enough sleep during the actual school year. Maybe we can stockpile enough to make it to the end of the semester. Or at least the end of the first week back.

2. Catch up (or get ahead) on class work.

media.giphy.com

Okay, I know this isn't traditionally fun. I, however, am one of those people who *hates* to be stressed out, so being able to get ahead is actually a blessing in disguise. If I can make my future weeks less stressful than I'll put in a little work in advance.

3. Binge some missed Netflix.

media.giphy.com

Finally, watch that show that everyone else has seemed to have time to watch except for you. Becoming culturally aware is not a bad way to spend a week off from school.

4. Get in touch with friends from the past.

media.giphy.com

Even if you haven't talked in a while, it's never too late to reconnect with friends from your youth or high school. Time makes people drift apart - but it doesn't have to. Just go grab a coffee. See a movie. Reach out over social media. It's amazing how easy it is to reconnect with people.

5. Go see a movie.

media.giphy.com

In the past few years, there's been a growth in the number of films released in early March to cater to college spring break. This year in the first week of March you could see "Captain Marvel" (the last Marvel Cinematic Universe movie before "Avengers: Endgame", "Five Feet Apart" starring your favorite "Riverdale" and Disney Channel alum - Cole Sprouse, and the live-action "Dumbo" if your break is later in the month.

6. Read a book.

media.giphy.com

It can be so liberating to read something that *you* choose to read - not something that's been assigned to you or is required reading. Find something that you want to read, and enjoy.

7. Go shopping. (If you can get your parent to take you - even better!)

media.giphy.com

Window shopping is always fun... but if you can take a parent (who really wants to spend as much time with you as possible) then all the better if they can foot the bill for a new spring/summer wardrobe.

8. Go on a run.

media.giphy.com

We all start the spring semester with high hopes and New Years Resolutions of eating healthy and going to the gym. An un-busy Spring Break is the perfect time to get back on the wagon.

9. Spend time with family.

media.giphy.com

Some people's families drive them crazy - and I understand that - but really a lot of the reason people's families are overbearing is because they miss you. So spend a little time with mom and dad, it means more to them than you know.

10. Go out. (If you're 21 of course!)

media.giphy.com

Let's be honest.... a lot of our high school years were spent hearing about the bars and entertainment at home, but when we were finally old enough to go we didn't live at home! So go out. Sleep in the next day. Explore what you missed out on for 20+ years in your home town. It could give you a new appreciation for home.

11. Go to your favorite local restaurant.

media.giphy.com

Everyone has that special restaurant they love, and food at school just doesn't measure up. So treat yourself... or get someone to treat you!

12. Go on a weekend road trip.

media.giphy.com

So you weren't able to go on a week getaway. Make the most of what you can do! Grab a friend, a parent, a sibling, or go by yourself and explore a city for a weekend or even a day. The getaway is much needed, without the big bill of a week-long vacation.

Whatever you decide to do next month for your Spring Break, make it a good one! Relax, enjoy, and get ready to finish this semester off!