If Ashley Graham Can Do It, Then So Can I

Cellulite is beautiful too.

1044
Ashley Graham

One of the biggest controversies we have facing society today is our view on our physiques. This targets people of all genders, but today I would like to talk about how it affects women. Women across America often feel pressured to look a certain way: thin and petite. It’s been ingrained in most of us since we were able to view the world. Thankfully society has started to slowly introduce curves as a component of beauty. But, with curves come insecurities. One of the biggest insecurities I see women of all shapes and sizes dealing with is cellulite.

If you don’t know what cellulite is, well, take a look at my thighs. It’s all over. I could point out every single dimple to you and not have a care about it. Why? Because it’s beautiful. It’s what gives women that “REAL” factor. Wake up everyone. Women are human too, and we have cellulite. Lots of it. Now, does this mean that I look at my legs every day and think, “Damn. I love how these dimples jiggle as I walk.” Hell. No. Honestly, 95% of the time, I hate my cellulite. It’s been a part of me ever since I can remember. But as much as I hate it, and have hated it for a long time, I also love it.

This love for my cellulite is definitely something new. Growing up, I used to be really insecure about it. I was so insecure that I wouldn’t even wear shorts on the hottest days of the summer. I didn’t want anyone to see it because I felt as if everyone was looking at the cellulite on my legs if I showed them off. In all honesty, I am someone who tends to compare myself to others. But, I am getting better at that. Recently, I discovered that 90% of women have cellulite. It makes feel so much better knowing that I’m not alone. Besides that, it makes me feel better to know that there are even celebrities out there who have it because Ashley Graham is within that 90% too. Ashley Graham is a model who has curves, cellulite, and confidence. She has changed society so much by being an advocate for loving the skin you’re in no matter what shape, size, amount of stretch marks, or cellulite you have.

The other day, I was looking at her Instagram feed and something caught my eye. Graham usually posts pictures making her cellulite prominent, but this one stood out to me the most. Here is Ashley Graham, all in her element, and rocking her cellulite. Now, I’d say I have some curves on me, and after seeing this picture, it made me look at myself and my cellulite so much more differently. In fact, it made me feel even more beautiful. Knowing that she’s someone who’s apart of the public eye, with millions of followers watching her every move, and she still rocks it, gave me the confidence to embrace my cellulite and even show it off. So my new motto is, “If Ashley Graham can show herself off and have confidence while doing it, then so can I." To all of you fierce ladies out there who are insecure about your cellulite: SHOW. IT. OFF. I promise that you will feel so much better just being your natural, beautiful self.