10 Struggles Of Being A Ginger, As Told By A Redhead
popular

...don't ever say we don't have a soul.

4072
Instagram

Those graced with pale skin and copper hair only make up about 2% of the population, so we're bound to catch some grief simply for being a little different. From the general confusion of growing up wondering why we were being called 'redhead' (this tomato is red, it's not the same color as my hair, Mom, I don't get it??) to becoming accustomed to responding the the name 'ginger' just as instinctually as you would respond to your own name, only redheads know the real struggles of being a ginger...

1. You're the punchline

Yeah, yeah, my hair is fire, use it to warm your hands–good one. Honestly, the jokes are endless for the ginger kid and you hear the same ones so often that you actually start to appreciate the people who put some thought into it and get a little creative with them.

2. Playing the part

Even though you become the default to "the redheaded parts"–being deemed Ariel without any hope of ever being Cinderella, or a Weasley, which, let's face it, I'm redheaded and poor, so I probably am one–the redhead card can certainly play to your advantage. For instance, I never would have broke into the show business industry if it weren't for my ginger locks: I was the only redhead in my kindergarten class, therefore I was immediately granted the honor of playing the redhead girl in our Charlie Brown play (my first and last acting experience, it's all for the best).

3. The sunburn

Sure, your friends might make fun of you for having to carry sunblock around everywhere you go, but I'll tell you non-redheads that the sun is no joke for us vampires. Make fun of our SPF 100 all you want, but after falling asleep on the beach for three hours after a cursory sunscreen application and waking up with what turns out to be second and third degree burns on the entirety of your back legs, you learn to never leave the sunblock thing to chance ever again.

4. Your friends calling themselves pale

...and then comparing their skin to yours and feeling a little better. So thrilled we could be here to make you a little less disappointed about your skin tone, guys–really, you're welcome. We'll just be over here waiting for the day that all of our freckles band together to finally create a glowing tan.

5. Finding the shade

Your close friends know that if you're going somewhere outdoors for more than 20 minutes at a time, there needs to be shade for the ginger kid. If they're keepers, then they've probably got beach umbrellas or even a beach tent in their trunk just for you. Meanwhile, while they're frolicking in the sunshine, you're shivering in the shade–good thing you brought a sweater, cause you're used to this by now.

6. You'll never have a soul

"Gingers don't have souls." Yes, you're right, sir. You watched a South Park episode and you are now far more superior than I am, I digress.

7. Learning your color palette is a struggle.

Orange? Red? What's acceptable to wear? What's not? Do I really have to dye my hair just to wear this outfit? Is that going too far? Eventually you'll give up and learn to just wear whatever you want.

8. "Is that your natural hair color?"

This happens. All the time. For some reason, sprouting auburn locks from your scalp is practically a formal invitation sent to strangers–particularly old ladies–to talk to you.

9. Watch out for the temper on that one

...but did you ever think that maybe we're so short tempered because we've had to deal with your overplayed antics for our entire lives? Idk, just a thought.

10. "Does the carpet match the drapes?"

Yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes yikes. You are too much for me and I would like to formally un-invite you to my life.