Artists Talk About Their New Exhibition

Artists Talk About Their New Exhibition

Sara Law and Marcy Thomas discuss “Milk Spilt.”

336
Artists Talk About Their New Exhibition
Sara Law, Marcy Thomas @ Rubberneck

Sara Law, Marcy Thomas, Cassidy Kean and Lauren Iacoponi join together in conversation about Sara Law + Marcy Thomas’ exhibition “Milk Spilt.”

Listen to the full conversation here:

https://soundcloud.com/user-365521247/artist-talk-sara-law-marcy-thomas

Marcy's work is characterized by an interest in transitions: the time it takes for a liquid or slurry to become solid, the filling of negative space to create positive forms, and when dimension and surface are born. Thomas builds intuitively with concrete, pulp, other fiber and linear materials, allowing the tactile sensations of opposing elements to speak for themselves. The result is a compromise between anti-form and containment.

Sara Law utilizes a unique and idiosyncratic relationship with language navigated visually through color and sensation. Specific color combinations provide her with comfort and stimulate her emotionally, leaving a feeling of vulnerability. Law yearns for an overcast sky and takes pleasure in the absence of the sun. Her work is motivated by the fact that her thoughts cannot always be conveyed through the limited means of the English language.

Cassidy Kean is a media artist with an emphasis in documentary film. Kean facilitates Secret Cinema in Chicago and curates various Chicago projects.

Lauren Iacoponi is an artist teaching in the visual art department at Northern Illinois University. Iacoponi is a writer, art director and curator for Unpacked Mobile Gallery and Rubberneck.