The Art Of Staying Calm Isn't A Waste Of Time

We live in such a fast-paced society that taking a break is often viewed as a waste of time.

1175
pxhere

We have all been there – those situations that make you want to fly off the handle. The ones that stress you out to no end and leave you shaking your head and wondering if the struggle you’re going through is even worth it. When those moments happen, it can be very difficult to stay calm and evaluate the situation.

I have times where I just want to fall to the floor because it seems like I'm in a losing battle with the mountain of work I have to do.

When those moments happen, it is important to remember the art of staying calm.

Sometimes it is important to remove yourself from the situation that is stressing you out so you can evaluate it and come back with fresh eyes and a fresh mind. It is always more difficult to solve a problem if you continue looking at it in the same way forever.

It can feel like when those moments come there is nothing you can do to destress or solve the problem, but the key to solving the problem is de-stressing.

We live in such a fast-paced society that people are often looked down upon for taking time for themselves to collect their thoughts and assess a situation, but those who do this are often the most successful.

It can be incredibly difficult to take time off. Many don’t view taking a break and coming back later as an option. In many situations though, it is the best option.

Of course, if there is a time-sensitive issue it can be incredibly difficult to take the time to carefully evaluate it, but I have the unpopular opinion that taking a break is often one of the only ways to fix whatever the issue is.

If I am having trouble writing, or with a math problem or even if I’ve just gotten into a disagreement with someone, I try to remove myself from the situation for a little bit.

Stepping back and taking time to yourself is often viewed negatively.

If you aren’t stressed to the max all of the time then sometimes it can feel as though you aren’t doing all that you can do, or you aren’t doing as much as everyone else is.

That is not the case, though. People who take breaks are often more productive than those who do not because they are able to step back and look at a situation differently.

Many people believe that taking a break is a waste of time, but it has been proven that those who take breaks may have a boost in their performance.

Not all breaks are created equal, though. Venting about a problem to a coworker and trying to hype back up with caffeine have been shown to cause more fatigue because they do not address the underlying issue of fatigue.

Next time you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed, instead of staying on task, maybe meditate, take a walk, play a game or even learn something new.