Art Major

Being An Art Major Isn't As Easy As It Looks, Trust Me, I Am One

Art looks like an easy thing to do, but it's not, so let an art major student explain why.

107
An art major student posing for her projection project.

The art community is so complex and challenging that it's sometimes healthy to stop and drop everything for a crying session. Producing art can be euphoric but it's always changing with new tools and people coming up with new ways to use those tools. We are always adapting to new types of equipment and ideas while simultaneously striving to be better than our past selves and fellow peers. Almost always, in the end, we segregate ourselves in our own talents. Any person who isolates themselves is filled with loneliness and hallow ideas that lead to nowhere. However, being an art major means holding our own ground against self-doubt and the doubt from others.

An art major is someone who can effectively embody their emotions and ideas into a constructed medium. People who are proficient in the arts use either the body, series of pigment, lenses, and organic/synthetic material as a medium. These mediums are broken up into categories which include metals & jewelry, dance, painting, drawing, sculpture, photography, and more. The term "art major" is so broad that it's easy to look passed dance, music, and architecture as art.

It's very easy to make fun of art students, especially if you're the sciencey type. However, people such as myself fear for our career choice in the arts. We're too busy pulling our hair to stop and listen to nerds telling us how to do our jobs. We see and hear that garbage all the time. There are TV skits and conversations that tell us getting a degree in the arts is pointless. My favorite Netflix show "The Office" holds a base for this conversation with Pam entering graphic design. "I can do that." "It doesn't seem that hard." "Are you sure?" We never asked for anyone else's opinion. I get digested in these phrases sometimes as if I'm no better at my passion than the engineer who can code. Additionally, there is a handful of people who see art majors as children making hand turkeys and pasta necklaces in preschool. They are right about that. We make it look so easy for our audiences that we make them forget our hard work was derived from a tornado of emotions.

Any piece made by anyone consists of dense research from past works, self-critiques, and famous work. In summary, it's a mesh of ideas, and anyone can mesh ideas together. That might be the easy part, aside from creating the final piece. It takes multiple drafts and reruns, peer and professor critiques, and a large sum of money (That's right. Building the best piece requires a large chunk of dough.) The process of finalizing is a craft of itself, and it takes time. I've done multiple projects these past two years as a student that has taken me weeks to finish. Our class schedules look so short because we devote most of our day to an open studio.

Unlike other majors, this one definitely has no right answer. Other majors are graded privately for their work. Art majors are forced to have a strong backbone and a poker face because we actively present our work to be graded in front of everyone. We are open and vulnerable through our creations, especially to our professors who can do and say as they please. And if the critiquing wasn't bad enough, someone's confidence can be done for when there is an exhibition. An exhibition can be one artist's dream and another one's nightmare--only the best ones are seen in this event.

Art is not an easy thing to study. People who can grasp it should not have to argue with anyone to prove their worth as an artist.