Art As A Necessity

Art As A Necessity

Art is more than just child's play.

502
Art As A Necessity
Dr. Eugene Clark Library

As a college student, the most asked question of my life is: "What's your major?" And every time I reply that I'm studying art, I receive one of two reactions. The first, and least common, is that the inquisitive party will become very excited and say something like, "Wow, thats awesome! Can I see something you're working on?!" And the second is something like, "Oh. I used to do arts and crafts in middle school." Apart from immediately implying that what I've chosen to study is somehow lesser than your field, there is something fundamentally wrong with this sort of response. By replying in this fashion, you are relegating art to something childish and unimportant in the "grown up world." We should be embracing art for all of the wonderful things it has taught us, not erasing it from our daily routines.

The desire to create is natural. From the beginning of time, man has been creating. Working with our hands is innate and programmed within our nature. We seem to have forgotten this in a world full of advanced technology and transactions where we can easily pay someone to do everything for us. Yet, our fingers yearn to build. Our minds are hungry for a tangible object to create. Don't believe me? Sit down with a container of play dough or a box of legos and try to tear yourself away after five minutes.

Art is a healthy expression of emotions. What if instead of punching each other or verbally attacking one another on the web, we created a piece of art, or a musical melody, or even journaled about how we felt? Wouldn't the world seem like a happier place? Rather than one black eye or a few damaged egos, we would instead have something beautiful and still expressive of our feelings. Even more importantly, art aids in our knowledge of our own selves. Try journaling for ten minutes at the end of your day, or even doodling on some notes in class. Art is necessary to self-health.

Art creates a space for critical thinking and deep conversation. Art requires communication, whether through silent self-reflection or a dialogue with others. Most books require a further discussion or inspire a dialogue. Don't believe me? Research Beyoncé's new song "Formation"' and then read all of the discussion surrounding both her performance and the lyrics themselves. Art demands your voice. Take your friends to an art gallery on your next free weekend and really discuss the art you see. Take notes, draw sketches; try to really understand what the artist is communicating. Through art we can draw a greater understanding of other cultures. Art is universal, which means that anyone of any background can create something artistic. By realizing and honoring this idea, we can create a space in which every culture is appreciated rather than ridiculed.

Art matters because it improves our quality of life. Living somewhere dull can become tedious and cause one to feel anger or tension at their surroundings. Whether creating something aesthetically pleasing or meaningful (or both!), simply creating or even being around art improves our mood, therefore improving the world.