How The Line Between Art & Craft Is Highly Debated

Do artists decide what is art and what is craft? Or do the viewers?

500
oakridgehobbies

Google the phrase “art and craft,” and you will be given approximately 140,000,000 results. Within those millions of results, you’ll see everything from works from the arts and crafts movement, to children’s craft projects. But how do we define what is art from what is craft?]

In the postmodern era, it is hard to find a definitive line between the two. The subject itself is highly debated among artists themselves. Is what they are making art? Or is it craft? Many would leave the artist to decide for themselves what it is they create.

Art is not singularly defined, being both visual and performing. The visual arts encompass ceramics, drawing, painting, sculpture, printmaking, photography and many other disciplines. Throughout history, different cultures have put different emphasis on art. Western art has long considered painting to be high art, with photography revolutionizing the idea of high art.

Craft has not always been associated with art. It has only been within the last century that the terms have been associated with each other. This in part because of the arts and crats movement, which put an emphasis on high art. This idea of high art lead to the definition of craft as we know it today.

Craft can defined as pastime or a profession requiring particular skills. Throughout history, craft referred to works created by people in small-scale. Many people consider function pieces, particular fiber arts, crocheting and knitting, as well as pottery to be craft.

I myself would consider myself an artist first and foremost. I’ve long out grown home crafting projects. Once upon a time I was a crafter, but as I am working towards a bachelor’s of fine arts degree, I now consider myself an artist.

I work heavily in the field of ceramics. Ceramics, particularly pottery has long been considered a craft rather than a form of art. Last weekend I attended an arts festival that featured many potters alongside painters and photographers among others. This weekend I was a vendor at a craft festival. I had not initially intended to be a vendor at the craft festival, I had wanted to be at the arts nights hosted by the same organization. The organizers, upon hearing that I made utilitarian pottery told me that I would be a better fit at the craft festival.

Was the craft festival a better fit for me? That I cannot say for sure. While there were plenty of vendors, in a variety of media, no one I spoke to was making a profession out of their work. Jewelers who made work in the free time, crochet and knitters who had retired and were trying to make money off of their hobby. Not a single artist selling their work for professional reasons.

While I enjoyed my time at the craft festival today and sold a few pieces, I think I will reconsider selling at craft festivals, at least in the near future. I’ve had much greater success with my work when it’s displayed in a gallery, or sold alongside painting and photography work.

I am not an artist who is willing to let the viewer decide if what I make is craft or art. I am an artist. An artist who has found her second home in the ceramic studio and who is making handcrafted pottery for everyday use.