Arizona Goes Out With A Bang

Arizona Goes Out With A Bang

Wildcats stun Utah and become bowl eligible.

4
Arizona Goes Out With A Bang
CBS Sports

Saturday, Nov. 14, 2015, at 8 PM. Arizona Stadium. A three-game losing streak and a 5-5 record weigh heavily on the hearts and minds of the Wildcats as they suit up for their last home game of the 2015 season. Apparently, that weight was more than they could endure, and this clowder of ‘Cats decided they weren’t going out like that. The Number 10 Utes? Well, they found out what the Wildcats are capable of when they beardown.

The Wildcats were coming off a successful 2014 season with 10-4 record and ranked Number 19. The 2015 season has been an entirely different story. The team headed into a downward spiral, taking everyone by surprise — especially under the close watch of Coach Rich Rodriquez. His statement regarding Saturday’s game against the Utes:

“This is one of the best [wins] since I’ve been here, simply because a lot of folks never thought it would happen.”

A humbling remark since this is the fourth straight season Rich Rod and the ‘Cats have defeated a Number 10 team.

Discouraging games of the 2015 season include the loss to UCLA on College Game Day in front of a national television audience and a near shutout against Washington (3-49). These performances led many Arizona football fans to have some unpromising confidence in their Wildcats early Saturday. That all changed when the whistle blew, though, and the Wildcats came out ready to reclaim the faith.

The Wildcats’ defense was the star of their last home game — with four sacks and a relentless effort of keeping Utah away from the end zone. Wide Receiver Cayleb Jones had a notable night with five receptions for 126 yards. Jerrard Randall replaced quarterback Anu Solomon in the last quarter, due to a head injury. He left the game with three recorded touchdowns and led the team with 277 passing yards and 86 rushing yards.

ZonaZoo was untamable after a Solomon touchdown, tying the game in the third quarter 27-27. If overtime sounds like an exciting game, try two! The first overtime was settled by responsive field goals for both teams. The second settled the final score 37-30 with a stunning 25-yard pass from Randall to Nate Phillips. This was Randall’s only completed pass of the night and he made it count.

Arizona just defeated Number 10 Utah. The field was rushed and the celebration was immense. Not only did the ‘Cats prove they had a better story to tell than their prior games had conveyed, but they are now bowl eligible as well. Which bowl they are headed to will not be announced until the bowl game selection show on Sunday, Dec. 6.

An 8-2 Utah team is now tied for first in the Pac-12 conference with the University of Southern California. Utah’s loss to the Trojans became the tiebreaker. The loss to Arizona ultimately knocked them out of contention for the College Football Playoffs.

The Wildcats needed a miracle and they got one — in the form of a steady defense and extraordinary offensive fight.

Beardown Wildcats, Beardown.