Ari's Adventures Abroad: Week 11

Ari's Adventures Abroad: Week 11

We visited China Town and Camden Market!

12
Ari's Adventures Abroad: Week 11
Ariana Puzzo

As the second block of my semester abroad began winding to a close, it was nice to experience some familiarity, especially since it is getting to the stage when you feel like you are forgetting what everyone from back home looks like. Therefore, during my 11th week abroad, it was great to see some familiar faces from Fairfield, as well as travel to visit the Harry Potter studio tour!

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Our friend Michaela was still in the city, so we ended up getting together Tuesday night with her and her friends and met at O’Neill's in China Town. We had not visited China Town up until that point and it was incredibly cool to see all the lanterns lit up late at night. The area was alive with activity, as much of London is at night, and people were pouring in and out of pubs from seemingly every angle. Once inside, the atmosphere was just as enthusiastic, and it was refreshing to hear modern music playing both from the band and the sound speakers once the band finished for the night.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Wednesday was a subdued day in London in wake of the Westminster attack that occurred a little before 3 p.m. I was getting out of class when I saw the news on my phone since I receive mobile alerts from The New York Times and CNN, and for the rest of the night, I was trying to assure family and friends back home that I was in fact OK. Thankfully, where I live is several tube stops away from Westminster Bridge, but it was unnerving that we had just visited the area on Sunday with Michaela. As tragic events like these tend to be, it was another reminder that we have to be mindful of our surroundings, but also not live in fear of these circumstances. If I took anything out of the experience, it is that Britons are strong and keep on keeping on even when the going gets tough, which is certainly an admirable trait.

Friday, March 24, 2017

After classes on Friday, I met Brendan, a fellow Fairfield student and staff member on The Mirror, for tea at Bloomsbury Coffee House. He was in visiting from Florence, Italy on his spring break, so it was a nice opportunity to catch up on all things study abroad, as well as plans for senior year. One thing is for certain: neither one of us is ready to return to the reality of a Trump America.

Saturday, March 25, 2017

As I mentioned in one of my articles last week, Saturday was spent at the Harry Potter studio tour, also known as my personalized version of Heaven. The studio tour was full of props, costumes, art design and sets used in all eight of the Harry Potter films, and it was so surreal finally visiting the set after wanting to go there for ages. Sufficed to say, when Erin and I got back that night, we were on a Harry Potter kick and since then, we have watched the first two films. Let me say, it is now bizarre to see St. Pancras International — a hotel near us — in Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets!

Sunday, March 26, 2017

The end of the week was spent laying low in Regent’s Park, doing some work and enjoying the gradually warming weather. The weather is turning absolutely beautiful here, a stark contrast to everything I have heard about the weather back home. Sunday was about 60 degrees, so it was perfect to lounge outside on the grass of Regent’s Park while doing some assignments. After a while in the park, we then went to Poppie’s Fish & Chips, where we got to see Camden Market for the first time. Despite closing down for the day, the area was still bright with colors and alive with people who were listening to different types of music, which we got a perfect view of from our window seat.

Looking ahead, Ari’s Adventures Abroad will be on another week hiatus next week, returning the following week to detail my adventures in Florence and Rome before Block III begins.