Are Libraries Going Extinct?

Are Libraries Going Extinct?

The importance of your local library in the modern era.

418
Are Libraries Going Extinct?

I’m going to start right off the bat saying that this article is full of personal bias. I work at a library and have been an avid reader and supporter of these institutions for my entire life. However, this is not so much of a piece of news than it is simply me making a case for your local library, and also public libraries across the globe.

People have speculated in recent years why libraries still exist. We have the internet, Google, Netflix, Amazon, and so much more at our fingertips. Long gone are the days where you had to go to the library and search through an encyclopedia for that school research paper. Now all you need to do to find the answer to any question you could ever possibly have is just use your mobile phone. But in our modern age of instant access to information, your local library is just as important as ever.

For one thing, your local library is FREE! Well, technically not entirely free because you do have to sign up for a library card and your tax dollars go towards funding the institution. However, in doing this, you are able to access as many books, movies, CD’s, audiobooks, e-books, magazines, newspapers, etc. as you want! Having access to all of those things is absolutely worth the money.

But, you may be saying, I can just get Netflix or I’ll just use my Kindle. Both of those things are absolutely fine! Libraries have so much more to offer besides just the materials they’re able to lend out. Public libraries are quiet spaces for people to get work done and they can also act as community centers for free events. For example, the library I work at hosts TONS of free programs for the public that range from concerts to local art exhibitions to Living History presentations. Your local library is a place where anybody and everybody can take advantage of free or low-cost community activities.

Another perk of libraries is that sometimes the more fortunate forget that many folks cannot afford that Netflix subscription or Spotify premium. Also, some people may need resources such as computer, printer, copier, or fax machine. The library is a better and cheaper alternative to those services for these people who need them but cannot get them easily. Libraries offer free access to all of those things, plus Wi-Fi, heat/air-conditioning, and places to sit down. Libraries in big cities often become places where those who need shelter will come to for a while to get out of the weather. Libraries don’t discriminate; the entire purpose of a public library is to welcome everyone and their unique ideas.

So next time you seem some tech article claiming that libraries are extinct, they are incorrect because I assure you that your local library is alive and well. Libraries aren’t just for one group of people, they are for everyone from the youngest of the community to the oldest. Next time you get chance, go check out your library and see what they have to offer. It’s definitely worth your time.