How Writing About Your Average Day Can Help You Appreciate The Small Things

How Writing About Your Average Day Can Help You Appreciate The Small Things

Taking time once a week to write about your day, can seriously improve how many things you appreciate.

3
https://unsplash.com/photos/omeaHbEFlN4

I decided to walk through an entire average day in January 2019. This is something that I have wanted to do for a while in order to appreciate the little things in life that I may take for granted.

As I opened the door to my tiny apartment, I heard Charlie barking. He missed me. I had been gone almost all day. I thought about how sad he would be after his walk when I would inevitably disappear behind the off-white door once more to grab a glass of wine with a friend. After our walk, I smudged some lipstick on my lips and headed out the door. The wine was so bitter and acidic, I wished that I were at home with my fluffy mess of fur. It was nice seeing Samantha though, it had been a while and catching up was long overdue. I came home and after my cup of chamomile tea and reading, fell asleep.

I woke up around 9:30 am and began my morning routine. I brushed out the tangles in my hair from the restless night of sleep before. I can never really sleep too deeply. I brewed myself a cup of coffee in a to-go cup and snapped the leash onto Charlie's collar. His tail began wagging rapidly as he had never been on a walk before. This was easily his favorite part of the day. We began walking our normal route around the neighborhood.

He barked at all of the other passing neighborhood dogs, and even tried to fight a German Shephard who was nearly five times his own size. The Napoleon Complex is definitely valid. The German Shephard rolled his eyes at Charlie and went on with his day. After our walk, I smoothed out my blue yoga mat to stretch myself out for the day. Yoga always seems to help ensure that I have a good day. I then hopped in my red Mazda and turned on some John Mayor. His music always seems to put me in a good mood.

I arrived on campus around 12:15 pm, searching desperately for my English class in the ILC building. I had never been here before and I had no idea where I was going. I took notice of all of the other stu

dents passing by, everyone hurrying to a different room. It seemed like a comical paradox that I seemed to have so much in common with all of these people, yet nothing at all at the same time. Finally, I had found my classroom and found a seat that was close, yet not too close. After class, I found my car in the garage and headed back home to Charlie. We went on yet another walk around my apartment complex, but this time there was a lot less barking. I fed him his little cup of kibble and made myself chicken and salad leftovers from the night before. I have this meal about four times a week. I really need to work on my cooking skills, my culinary creativity is seriously lacking.

I love my life. There are so many things that I am grateful for. I realize just how grateful I am for friends, family, and Charlie. My life is freaking awesome. Taking time to appreciate everything in your life is so important and I am making it a challenge this year to write about my day once a week. Just a random and average day. I encourage you to do the same.