Summer May Be Ending, But Our Happiness Doesn't Have To

You live in the present moment and nowhere else.

91
Alyssa Gasa

As the end of summer draws near, it's a transitional time for all of us. Tangerine sunsets emerge a little earlier every night, to-do lists get a bit longer every day, and we start reminiscing back on the last three months. Some look back and see how much got accomplished, others see what they never got around to. However, it doesn't matter which person you are because despite our own efforts summer never seems long enough.

This summer, in particular, has been a very introspective time for me. One of the things I have come to realize is that we can check off every last item on our "Summer Bucket Lists" and yet summer is still not long enough. Wanting more of summer has almost nothing to do with what you did or didn't finish but rather whether or not you appreciated the moments for what they were. It doesn't come from a purposeful lack of appreciation but instead from forward thinking.

Our days are often filled with organizing tasks and events in our head aligning one after another. It can be as simple as thinking about what we are going to cook after work all the way to planning our next big trip. There's nothing wrong with planning the details of our lives, it's actually encouraged. The true issue arises from thinking so much about what's going to happen next we forget to appreciate the now. One of my new favorite quotes comes from Eckhart Tolle, he says, "Realize deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the NOW the primary focus of your life". If you truly understand what he's saying, it makes all the difference. We don't need to consume our thoughts so heavily on what is going to happen or even what has already happened but instead the very moment you are in.

We can't actually live in the past or the future but the now. When we give our energy to those times we aren't in, then we are taking away from appreciating the present moment. Summer can seem as if it flew right by us in a blink of an eye since we plan what our next move is. We hope for the weekends, we plan for our vacations, and we dread the days we are at work instead of basking in the sun. This is common but that doesn't mean it is right for us. When you are constantly awaiting the next moment you lose most of the gratitude for the current time.

Summer often slips easily through our fingers and anything that can make it last a little longer should be cherished.

Living in the present moment isn't challenging. The struggle emanates from not being able to realize when you are putting too much energy and thoughts into the wrong areas. Just take one moment. Look at where you are. Listen to anything you can hear. Just focus on exactly what you are doing. Now think about how grateful you are for what you have at this moment. It really is that simple to be in the present. When you tune in and are here in the now with your mind and body then you are overall more mindful of what's going on in your life. You appreciate where you are, you appreciate the memories you've gained, and you appreciate your life more deeply.

There are very few days of summer left let alone all of 2018. Don't be caught up in what never happened or being apprehensive of what's to come. The only moments we can control are where we are right now. To be truly content and better yet happy in life, the most important thing is gratitude. Take a few moments in times of worry and focus on what you have right there, what's important right then, and surely your days will slow down to the perfect pace.