Spend Your Spring Break Applying For Scholarships

Take a break from the relaxation to write a few essays.

161

It's spring break, which is a time to relax, get enough sleep, and spend time with friends and family. For those of you who are staying at home, perhaps you'll be more willing to devote time to getting ahead on your school work and applying for summer jobs. If you're going on vacation, then this probably the last thing you want to hear, but it doesn't make it any less start.

You should take the time to apply for scholarships this break.

At many universities, scholarships for summer opportunities and the fall semester are open and seeking applicants. These scholarships can range from summer abroad programs to grant funding for research. In fact, there are so many individual scholarships that you can pursue at NYU (and I would assume at many other universities), that almost any idea you have can get funded. You just have to try.

But college scholarships shouldn't be the only place you go to for funding. Outside sources for scholarships and funding opportunities are widely available you just have to look for them!

One of my favorite websites to apply for funding and pursue fun and interesting projects is DoSomething.org. This website has many opportunities for young people to get involved with the social action and create change in their communities. Projects range from small and useful, such as creating a five-minute playlist to limit your time in the shower, to complex and large-scale, such as documenting an environmental issue in the world to raise awareness about how volunteer activism can make a difference. It doesn't matter what you choose to do with this organization, as long as you do something.

For the more essay-inclined individual, Fastweb and Course Hero provide an email service that updates users on available scholarships that need applicants. You will find small scholarships that only require 250 characters on what your favorite quote is and why and big scholarships no less than 500 words that discuss the importance of the 7th amendment for American citizens.

There are, of course, many other opportunities for someone to win money to fund their travels this summer or studies for next year, but you have to go out and look for them. This spring break, do your future self a favor and apply for scholaships while you have the time. Before you know it, we'll be back in school and the grind will start once more.