The 5 Best Apple-Related Movies

The 5 Best Apple-Related Movies

We pay tribute to movies that incorporate the forbidden fruit in the best ways.

3252
The 5 Best Apple-Related Movies
Warner Bros. Pictures

This article was co-written by Brent Leoni and Mitch Burris.

Apples are a big part of our daily lives. They are a very popular snack, they are a very popular juice, and they are a very popular brand. Therefore, like many demographics, we need to look out for the representation of apples on screen. Are they only being seen as poison, simply to kill a Disney princess? Are they being objectified or marginalized into a Manic Pixie Dream Apple archetype? In this coveted list, we saw none of those. These films present realistic, powerful examples of how apples are both vital to and enjoyable in our everyday lives.

5. "Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius" (dir. John A. Davis)

This animated masterpiece expertly presents the dichotomy between pre-teen suburban ennui and impending intergalactic slavery on the scale of "OK Computer." This isn't even mentioning the riveting scenes between Mrs. Fowl (Andrea Martin) and the worm, maybe the best movie B-story since "come play with us, Danny" in "The Shining." Clearly, the inspiration for Alexander Payne's upcoming film, "Downsizing", the fight between Mrs. Fowl and the worm inside the apple is an allegorical representation how the bourgeoisie shrinks down the proletariat to make them defeatable. But what the bourgeoisie can never shrink is the metaphorical heart of the proletariat who will fight until they get what they deserve. Is it Universal Healthcare? Is it an end to the wars in the Middle East? That's up to your interpretation

4. "Masculin Féminin" (dir. Jean-Luc Godard)

While the title blatantly suggests difference between men and women, Godard intersects the gender dichotomy with a commentary of the Beat Generation in Vietnam War-era France and the added dichotomy between communist ideals and consumerists comforts, as Godard himself included in one of the film's title cards; "Les Enfants De Marx Et De Coca-Cola", which translates to "The Children Of Marx And Of Coca-Cola." But we first see an apple in the self-titled twelfth scene of the film in which Catherine-Isabelle (Catherine-Isabelle Duport) and Robert (Michel Debord) quiz and rod each other for their respective previous sexual encounters. In the scene, Catherine-Isabelle, the female, is the one eating an apple, giving an obvious parallel to the Garden of Eden. But, here, Catherine-Isabelle is the reserved one, asking questions innocently to Robert and subduing his obtrusive ones with "none of your business." This scene represents the film very well for the ways in which men and women can hurt each other, even if it's in a casual conversation in the kitchen.

3. "Steve Jobs" (dir. Danny Boyle)

This eponymous, unconventional biopic was put together by a stellar cast and crew in Danny Boyle ("28 Days Later"), Aaron Sorkin ("The Social Network"), and Michael Fassbender ("Steve Jobs".) Just as Sorkin did before with "The Social Network" with the "tortured genius" archetype, so too does he do so with "Steve Jobs" but with a turtleneck this time instead of flip-flops. In addition, this film navigates the relationship between creator and follower, highlighted in the film's titular quote, "musicians play the instruments; I play the orchestra." Though there are no actual apples in the film, a biopic about the creator of Apple (that's actually good) deserves at least a top three spot on this list, if only because the company's worldly appeal has made the word "apple" ubiquitous, no matter the language.

2. Harry Potter and The Prisoner Of Azkaban" (dir. Alfonso Cuaron)

After the commercially successful pair, consisting of the whimsical premier adaption, "The Sorcerer's Stone" and the darker — albeit derivative — sequel, "The Chamber Of Secrets," a third film in the Harry Potter canon of the same pastiche could render even the most loyal viewers blasé. Luckily, legendary contemporary filmmaker Alfonso Cuaron ("Children Of Men" takes this film to even darker, more cinematic highs in "The Prisoner Of Azkaban." With three-dimensional characters, a nonlinear timeline, and an impressive visual aesthetic, "Azkaban" was, perhaps, the first YA adaptation to deserve consideration of great gravitas. But it certainly doesn't leave you cold, either. One of the film's most heartwarming scenes, the flight of Buckbeak, is propelled narratively by the innocuous feeding of an apple to the ostensibly hostile bird, Buckbeak, an obvious commentary on contemporary xenophobia. Here, we see the very best of apples and how it can help us build relationships with the other.

1. Good Will Hunting (dir. Gus Van Sant)

In Matt Damon's breakout film, he plays the genius Will Hunting who, despite his intellect, would much rather prefer drinking with his friends and beating up guys who he "hadn't seen since kindahgahden" than go to MIT, the school he's a custodian for. Will is persuaded by psychiatrist Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) throughout the film to do something truly profound and cease his intellectual flânerie but not before Will says the most famous apple-related quote of the film — or even of all-time. On the way out of a bar, Will asks a Harvard student "do you like apples?" After the student answers in the affirmative, Will goes "I got a number; how do you like them apples?" If one really looks into the semantics of said quote, it doesn't really make sense (albeit enough sense to win the screenplay an Oscar), but the nonsensicality, especially from such a smart character, brings a nuanced sense of earnestness to a film, a quality to feel-good movies that has been gotten too one-dimensional in recent years. All aside, at least we have "Good Will Hunting," and at least we have them apples.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 26.0px 'Helvetica Neue'; color: #000000}