6 Simple Steps To Make Your Apartment More Focus-Friendly

Because you're not going to go to campus every time you need to study.

144

Nothing says home quite like your first college apartment. Unlike a cramped dorm that makes you feel confined regarding both space and freedom, your apartment provides you with the first opportunity to craft your living arrangements to suit your unique sense of style and flair.

While decorating your room to a tee may be your top priority, don’t forget to transform your living space into an area that will help you exceed with high levels of productivity, too. After all, what good is a room that flawlessly displays your favorite school accessories if you don't put those products to use?

Don't just dress for success — make sure your room is befitting of your focused and driven lifestyle, too. Upgrade your apartment to a study haven full of focused, attentive energy by following these six simple decorating and arrangement tips for your space.

1. Make your study space cozy, but not sleepworthy

There's nothing better than crawling into bed and finishing up an essay while wrapped in the warmth of your covers — right? Well, not quite. To focus on completing your daily tasks with optimal efficiency, it may be best to forgo sitting on a soft mattress and get your work done on an office chair instead.

When examining individuals who took their work into their sleeping space, productivity trainers found the level of procrastination and unproductivity of these workers increased throughout the day. You can't expect to maintain your focus in an area designated for sleep, after all. Make one room or space in your apartment a designated work area — leave the pillows and blankets in a separate space reserved strictly for naps and sleep.

2. Keep the color vibrant

It's nearly impossible to obtain a sense of clarity in a room that lacks a sense of cohesion. When it comes to appearances, nothing dampens the mood of a room quite like a wall full of flaking, chipped paint.

When choosing the right hue for your space, opt for a paint that adds a sense of inspiration to your room while providing just the right level of balance and contrast for a more fabulous aesthetic. Stick to a neutral shade or tone to keep the atmosphere of your space focused and clear.

3. Leave no area untouched

How can you keep your mind on your assignments when your desk is overflowing with Starbucks cups, water bottles and everything minus the kitchen sink?

Make use of the corners, closets, and empty spaces in your room to create a more natural flow throughout your area. If you cram all your belongings into one cabinet or on top of one desk, chances are you'll have difficulty finding your essential daily belongings.

Apartments can be tiny, so be sure to disperse your goods throughout your rooms accordingly. Use free templates for organization labels that help you move your belongings to corners and shelves without losing place of where they are when you need them.

4. Reduce distractions to a minimum

Staying focused can be difficult, especially in college. From the sound of noisy neighbors to the overflowing hampers of dirty laundry creating both an unwanted sight and smell, it can be challenging to keep your apartment free of unwanted disturbances throughout the day.

While distractions are inevitable, you can keep them under control with a few strategic apartment organization tips.

If you find yourself unable to concentrate due to unwelcome noise, consider investing in heavy-duty earbuds or headphones you can store within reach. If it's the aesthetic of your room that’s distracting you instead, opt for a more minimalist style that keeps everything in order. This way, you can focus on what truly matters with a clear mind and reinvigorated thinking.

5. Make use of natural light

It’s hard to stay focused when your eyes begin to close. If you don’t have a reliable source of lighting in your apartment, how productive and centered can you really be?

In fact, a lack of natural light could be one of the primary reasons your body is struggling to stay awake while completing your daily assignments. If you forget to open the shades every once in a while, invest in fresh plants you can set near the window. Not only with the added fauna provide you with cleaner air, but it'll also give you the incentive to draw the curtains throughout the day, too.

6. Keep it simple

Sometimes, the best things in life are simple — rooms included. If you find yourself overwhelmed by a noisy apartment that keeps your eye wandering throughout the day, opt for a simplistic décor style that ties the space together instead.

It's important to add your sense of style and unique personalization to your room, which is more feasible in a space with a simpleminded design.

Why crowd your room with pictures and posters that overshadow one another when you could add a meaningful touch to your apartment that doesn't detract from the aesthetics?

Rather than tackling dozens of pictures of your dog across your walls, opt for just one instead. You'll be able to focus on your essay while having your trusted four-legged friend from home watching over you, too.

Maintain your drive with a focused room

Your apartment is your haven, even if you don’t intend to make it into a permanent home. Keep your mind focused and your productivity high by arranging your room for success.

While studying is necessary, having the right workspace to engage in your studies is crucial, too. Who knows — your new focus-enhancing space may just be the key to making Dean's List, after all.