Take COVID-19 Protocals Seriously, For The Sake Of Everyone Else

If You Don't Take The COVID-19 Outbreak Seriously, You're Risking Your Loved Ones' Lives

At this point, we all know it's not "just the flu."

157

There was recently a group of spring breakers that went to Miami, Florida, to enjoy partying on the beach during the COVID-19 quarantine. A huge group of college students decided that it was OK to risk everyone's lives, including their own, to enjoy their spring break and completely ignore the CDC and government's warnings about gathering in more than 50 groups of people. Then to make matters worse, when they were asked about it, they said they didn't care if they got the virus and just wanted to party.

What makes this incident the more disturbing is that it wasn't just college students who were on that beach or who are ignoring the warning from the CDC. There are numerous adults who were on that beach gathering together, and plenty of families are ignoring warnings. Most of the spring breakers and people who decided to gather on the beach ended up being infected with COVID-19.

Let's be honest, there aren't that many people who enjoy the idea of being quarantined in their houses. A lot of us hate not being able to go outside and socialize with others. And some of us miss doing things we love such as hanging out with our friends or being able to do things that were once-daily routine. But things have changed now because of the coronavirus outbreak in order to protect a number of our population from dying.

Just look at what has happened in places in the world such as Italy where the outbreak has had devastating effects. According to Forbes, COVID-19 kills people because in certain cases it can cause pneumonia once it gets down into your lungs and causes damage to your lungs. Eventually, it can get to where your lungs are damaged enough to where they can no longer be able to take in oxygen, and you go into respiratory failure. And with a shortage of ventilators, it becomes a bigger problem for patients.

You can also understand why social distancing might be considered important since COVID-19 is more contagious than the flu. And when people are practicing social distancing methods, there is less likelihood of the virus being able to spread as easily from one person to another.

According to Worldometer, Italy's death toll at the time of writing is 6,820, while the US is at 696 deaths and 53,595 total cases. And there are millions of other cases in the world. The idea of people over 60 as the only age group to be able to get the virus was also disproven after multiple people have either gotten the virus or have died who are in their 20s. There are even newborns who have gotten the virus.

If you haven't figured it out by now, COVID-19 is not something to be taken lightly.

Yet, there are still people who wish to risk their lives and risk other people's lives because they don't want to follow the CDC's protocols. And it's one thing to not care about your life, but it's another to completely risk other people's lives because you don't care about your own.

There is an overwhelming amount of people who still choose to ignore protocols made by medical experts to help keep the population in America safe. They chose to go outside or even use the time away from being on campus to host parties at their houses. This goes beyond the years of being a teenager and thinking you're invincible. These are people are risking their lives, the lives of the people around them, and even their loved ones.

Yes, I know that being in quarantine and being forced to stay at home isn't fun. But think about all of the students who are seniors in both college and high school who have had to give up their graduations because of the outbreak. And the seniors who are losing the time that they could have had to enjoy the final moments of their last year. I'm actually one of the seniors in college who won't be able to enjoy walking across the stage to receive my diploma. And for some people, they have lost their jobs as a result of the economic shutdown.

But notice that most of us have followed the protocols. We don't go out into the street and purposely gather in groups to throw parties and risk countless people's lives. Because we know that this isn't something that is permanent. It's a temporary solution that will help stop the spread of an outbreak that could kill millions and is already killing thousands in other countries. And the more people who are selfishly ignoring the government's protocols, the longer we will most likely spend in quarantine. Plus, the sacrifices we made will be for nothing.

So, the next time you decide to not take the outbreak seriously, think for a moment what you are risking. Because if you don't care about your own life or health, then you need to think about the possibility of causing your own parents or siblings to become infected with COVID-19 because of your reckless decision.

You need to ask yourself if you're willing to risk their lives in addition to your own.