Anyone Can Be Struggling With Themselves, Including Mac Miller

Be a friend to those who struggle.

317

The month of September is Suicide Awareness/Prevention Month, and this week is National Suicide Prevention Week.

Last Friday Malcolm McCormick, also known as hip-hop artist Mac Miller, passed away unexpectedly from a drug overdose at the young age of 26.

I have been a huge fan of Mac since my senior year of high school in 2009, so this really hit home. Mac was an excellent performer. He created the beats for a lot of his hits, produced them and wrote/recorded the lyrics. He is self-made, despite endorsements from Wiz Khalifa early on in his career. He continuously turned down deals with major record labels to continue his journey as an independent artist. On top of all this, Mac was also a big fighter against mental illness and depression. I can honestly say his music helped me through a lot, and I know I'm not the only person who feels this way.

The thing that upsets to me is that people only want to post things on social media, such as, "speak up if you're hurting."

First things first, if you know your friend is hurting....reach out. I speak from personal experience that when you're depressed and struggling, feeling as if you have hit rock bottom, you don't want to reach out to people, no matter who they are--and especially as a man. I wanted to battle my demons alone because it felt like unless you're going through the same thing or have in the past, you just won't understand.

That's something outsiders really don't seem to understand. That the feeling of having nothing left is not easy to speak about. There is also the chance that maybe your friend has reached out to you or someone else, but what they said wasn't taken seriously. I've talked to some friends about things that have gone wrong in my life, and there really wasn't a whole lot of attentiveness. Some people just have a really tough time talking about their feelings or even giving someone else advice about whatever is bothering them.

Don't be one to simply post things about mental health, claiming that you are there if people need someone if you won't actually be there if and when they reach out. Be that person who is there to listen, no matter who reaches out to you. Be the person to reach out to those who you feel are or may be struggling, even if it's just to ask them how they are doing. It is hard to tell how someone is feeling on the inside, but if you always remember to be aware, you could potentially help stop someone from ruining or even ending their life.

The one thing I want everyone who is struggling to know is that loss is unfortunately essential in our lives. If we never lose anything we cherish, we will never be grateful for the important things we have in life. Sometimes we have to lose things we never thought we would, in order to help us realize our potential. This may send us into a deep depression, but you must remember to never lose yourself. You cannot control what you did, but you can control what you do next.

Despite all the pain, you may have felt in your life, live each day as if it's the best day ever. This is inspired by none other than Mac Miller. Mac stated in the title song on "Best Day Ever:" "No matter where life takes me, find me with a smile/Pursuit to be happy, only laughing like a child/I never knew life could be this sweet/Got me cheesin' from cheek to cheek." There is no need to dwell on your past, but there is a great need for you to push toward your future.

Continue on ;

Rest easy, Mac. January 19, 1992 - September 7, 2018.

For more information on suicide awareness month please refer to https://www.nami.org/Get-Involved/Awareness-Events/Suicide-Prevention-Awareness-Month