Responding To Personal Questions From Family This Thanksgiving

"You look like you're having fun in all your FaceBook photos!"

14
Amelia Anderson

Some people think of Thanksgiving as the beginning of the holiday season, but others tend to think of it as the beginning of questioning season. Regardless of family size, it seems as though you're asked the same question again and again. Are you eating enough? Who holds your drinks when you take pictures? What exactly happens in a frat basement? *Cue shoving stuffing into your mouth as you think of a response.*

Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend?

What you want to say: No, because despite going to school with over 12,000 other students, no one has taken an interest in me. I don't get it. I'm funny, I'm charming, I'm not that bad looking. Thank you for reminding me that I am still, and might always be, alone. I'm just going to go get myself something to drink now.

What you actually say: No, I'm very busy with my studies and simply don't have time for that.

How are your classes going?

What you want to say: They're okay, but am I okay? I study for hours and stress myself out over endless papers and exams. I basically live in the library. Over the next few days I don't want to think at all about school because I know I'll lose all motivation that I have left to finish the semester and probably never leave my room again.

What you actually say: They're okay, some are easier than others.

Are you getting enough sleep?

What you want to say: I usually get the bare minimum if I'm lucky. Sometimes I fall asleep in class, in the library or standing up. I drink too much coffee and too many energy drinks because they don't seem to work anymore. All I want to do is eat some turkey and go back to sleep until Sunday.

What you actually say: I usually get between six to eight hours, depending on how much work I have.

What are your plans after college?

What you want to say: I have no clue. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a job these days? Everyone says it's so easy, but it's not. Companies don't want to hire you unless you have experience, but you can't have experience if no one will hire you. At this point, I'm going to end up on my parents' couch forever.

What you actually say: I'm still in the middle of job hunting.

What do you do for fun on the weekends?

What you want to say: I make regrettable decisions more often than not. I wake up to over 20 text messages and 15 missed calls from my friends. Sometimes I can't eat until seven at night because my stomach just can't handle it. Just last weekend I left my favorite top in someone's room whose name I can't remember.

What you actually say: I get my homework done and just hang out with my friends.

Stay strong this holiday season and if you're asked a question you don't know how to answer, pretend you didn't hear it and ask someone else to pass the gravy.