Kappa Alpha Theta and Theta Chi Host Annual Last Bag Standing Cornhole Tournament To Benefit DanceBlue

Tossing bags to make stacks.

98
Hayden Mitzlaff

Kappa Alpha Theta and Theta Chi hosted their annual Last Bag Standing cornhole tournament to benefit DanceBlue, University of Kentucky’s dance marathon.

The event was held last Thursday, Oct. 12, on the lawn of the 90.

Groups from different Greek or on-campus associations were able to sign up as teams, pairing and playing against teams from the various organizations. A variety of organizations were represented, from the Nursing School to several different fraternities and sororities. Nearly 38 teams participated in the tournament.

The event was open to all students and faculty, not just those participating.

“It’s awesome to see people from all different on-campus organizations come together, play games and eat food in honor of DanceBlue. You get the opportunity to meet and hang out with people you might not have had the opportunity to interact with otherwise, and it’s all for such a great cause,” Kappa Alpha Theta sophomore Jessica Hyland said.

This was Hyland’s second year attending the event.

Bystanders at the event were able to enjoy pizza and donuts while listening to music and watching the teams engage in competition.

Madison Nahstoll, Kappa Alpha Theta Service and Philanthropy Director, helped organize the event.

“It’s so rewarding to see the smiling faces at this event and know that all of the proceeds are going to such a great cause. We hope to continue to grow the event and keep it running for years to come,” Nahstoll said.

All of the proceeds from the team entries and food sold at this “pay to play” tournament go to DanceBlue, a student-run organization that fundraises year-round and comes together in a 24-hour dance marathon.

For Sara May, Kappa Alpha Theta freshman, it was her first year attending the event.

“As a freshman, we’re just now learning about DanceBlue and everything that goes into it. It’s awesome knowing that this event and so many other events on-campus are raising money For the Kids. I definitely want to participate in the dance marathon in the future,” May said.

Not only does Last Bag Standing raise money for the cause, it raises awareness. Encouraging students to not only donate but get involved with the organization.

In preparation for the event, Kappa Alpha Theta and Theta Chi hosted a Last Bag Standing restaurant night at Blaze Pizza, where 20 percent of the proceeds from that night benefited DanceBlue.

Last Bag Standing raised over $1,500 for DanceBlue.

The money raised through DanceBlue is donated to funds supporting the DanceBlue Kentucky Children’s Hospital and Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Clinic.

The DanceBlue Children’s Hospital Hematology/Oncology Clinic is now double the previous clinic’s size, with six rooms and seven infusion rooms, making for more effective and comfortable treatment. The new facilities would not exist without the fundraising from DanceBlue.

DanceBlue has been on the University of Kentucky’s campus for 12 years now, and nearly 11 million dollars has been raised to support this cause. The Last Bag Standing is just one of the many contributors to that large sum.

“It’s truly amazing knowing that an event as simple as a cornhole tournament can have such a huge impact on people’s lives. Kappa Alpha Theta and Theta Chi could not be more excited to do their part in supporting the cause,” Nahstoll said. “And who doesn’t love a good game of cornhole with pizza and donuts.”