13 Annoying Things Vegetarians Are Tired Of Hearing

"So, you like, love animals?"

107

I've been a vegetarian for about a year now. I decided to convert to this plant-based lifestyle because of my love for animals, my health, and the well-being of the planet. I slowly but surely want to become vegan, but this is tougher due to my love for cheese. In my short time as a vegetarian, I've received skepticism, curiosity, and quite a few annoying and rude comments. Here are just a few of the common ones vegetarians are tired of hearing.

1. "Don't you miss meat?"

No, I do not miss meat at all. This was something I decided to do, not something I was forced into doing.

2. "Well, then what do you eat?"

I eat plenty. I have tons of sources of vegetables, fruits, and proteins to pick from. A huge thanks to the masterminds behind soy and other substitutes that let me eat similar meals to you, that are animal friendly. Also, I still have cookies, cake, and ice-cream.

3. "I could never. Animals are just too delicious."

You don't have to. I'd never force you into my lifestyle and neither would anyone else. I might let you in on some of the amazing benefits, but that's as far as I'll go. Yes, I'm aware that meat is delicious. It's just not my cup of tea.

4. " Would you eat meat if...?"

If your question starts this way, don't even bother asking. These questions are never practical and are literally the most annoying questions known to man. Did I bump my head and wake up in a game show? No, I wont eat meat for 10,000 dollars. No, I wouldn't eat meat if I was stranded on an island or a mountain.

5. "Plants have feelings too. You're killing plants."

If you say this to me, I will honestly question your ability to pertain knowledge.If you can look at a bloody steak and a bowl of vegetables and for one moment think the two are the same, something is wrong with you. Please just stop.

6. "Where do you get your protein?"

This is the oldest question in the book. Everyone is an expert on your health and protein when they realize you're a vegetarian. Plant based protein is quite healthy and supplies me with all the protein I need. If your only source of protein is from meat, you're the one with the problem.

7. "Tofu and fake meat products are disgusting."

It's actually quite delicious. You're the one eating animal flesh and meat, but yes my food is disgusting.

8. "Don't you get tired of salads?"

Don't you get tired of asking stupid questions? I love salads, but there are plenty of options out there for me other than salads.

9. "What are you eating? It looks gross."

I hate when I'm about to munch down on my veggie burger, pasta, or tofu stir-fry and someone asks me this. Please take a look at the dead animal on your plate before asking me this. You don't see me complaining about what you're eating.

10. "See how good this looks. It's because there's meat in it. " *Shoves their plate in my face*

Don't ever do this. Just don't. There is nothing more rude than this right here. You don't see me shoving my plate of food in your face saying, "Yummm! Cruelty-free is where it's at."

11. "Eating meat is natural. Being a vegetarian isn't."

This one always gets me. How can you call torturing and killing living beings for food, natural?

12. "I once went four days without meat."

Wow. Really? Congratulations.

13. "So why are you a vegetarian?"

This question is not as annoying when asked respectfully. Choosing not to eat meat is a lifestyle and everyone has a different reason for doing so. I do it to stand up for the rights up animals and for the well-being of my planet. I do it because I feel like I'm making a difference.

Now, I didn't write this to put down my omnivore friends. I hope by reading this people will know what things to not say to vegetarians in conversations. I do not believe a person's character is based off of what they eat and I would never force my dietary lifestyle on anyone else. I just ask that people extend the same respect to me.

To all my vegetarian and vegan friends, stay strong. We are in this together.