Animated Shows Not Meant for Kids

Animated Shows Not Meant for Kids

Shows to definitely binge-watch, but not with kids nearby.

242
Animated Shows Not Meant for Kids
Techdar

I think when we all hear the word "cartoon" we automatically think of some kid show, right? I mean there's the people who scoff and mutter to themselves, 'but not anime, that's for all ages.' And, well, they're right. In Japan, the animation industry is much larger due to its cheaper cost so a wider variety of animations can and are produced, but that's another story.

In the U.S., our animation industry is mostly dedicated to children, and a lot of these shows are full of brainless plots, slapstick comedy.

There's also various shows that incorporate various social and political issues that help children to understand the real world. Those shows are dark enough to keep adults interested but light enough for children. But then, in the dark corner, there's the shows that no child should ever watch. And those shows will be listed here as well.

Ignoring the obvious line up (Family Guy, The Simpsons, King of the Hill, and South Park), we're left with these.

1. Rick And Morty

Rick and Morty (2013 - ) is about an alcoholic, genius scientist and his adventures with his 14 year old grandson. It deals with dysfunctional family issues with imperfect characters, crude humor, in every kind of universe.

2. Archer

We all love a spy flick, then add in crazy characters and a self-centered master spy with a creepy Oedipus complex and you have Archer (2010-).

3. Bob's Burgers

Family center shows are always heart warming. And the Belchers are just that, mixed with a good amount of crazy. Bob's Burgers (2011-) has been ranked as one of the 60th best cartoons of all time already and has been nominated for several awards.

4. The Boondocks

Originally based on a comic strip, The Boondocks (2005-2014) is about 10 and 8 year old Heuy and Riley who move out of the city to the suburbs to live with their grandfather in a mostly white community. The show tackles stereotypes, social classes, double standards, mixture of lifestyles, and much more for satire and comedy.

5. Drawn Together

Probably the first reality sitcom cartoon, Drawn Together (2004 - 2007) is about as crude as it gets and will leave you laughing from beginning to end. With some cringes in the middle. And many questions.

6. Futurama

Futurama (1999- 2003 & 2002 - 2007 & 2008 - 2013) is old enough to be a classic for the archives, but yet we can never get enough of these crazy future people.

Honorable Mention (a.k.a before 2000): Aqua Team Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman, The Tick, Renn & Stimpy, Space Ghost, and Coast to Coast.