Why Animal Kingdom Is The Most Underrated Park At Disney World

It is so much more than a half day park.

215
Helen Barker

My parents have been obsessed with Disney World for as long as I can remember. They went on their honeymoon and this year, my boyfriend and I went with them for their anniversary. Fun Fact: They were also in Disney World on my birthday while I was at school. Thanks Dave and Renee. One thing that I always noticed was how much they love Animal Kingdom, while no one else I know has ever seemed to like it as much. Even though Animal Kingdom has a wide variety of activities and rides, it has still been deemed a "half day park."

So how does the park even begin to compare to Magic Kingdom? Well, just like how Magic Kingdom has the iconic Cinderella's Castle, Animal Kingdom has the Tree of Life that lights up every night and looks just as stunning as the castle. Just like how there are parades all day long in Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom has cultural dancers throughout the streets. There are also some of the best characters to hang out with hidden around Animal Kingdom. You can find Tarzan or go visit Rafiki's petting zoo and feed the animals while he picks at the the "nits in your hair."

Also, there are more rides in Animal Kingdom than you might expect. When people list their favorite Disney rides, things like Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and Pirates of the Caribbean usually top the list. While these are among my favorites too, I have a newfound appreciation for the rides in the Animal Kingdom. First of all, I'm pretty sure I could ride around the safari all day and never get bored. There's also the Raging River Rapids, which is the perfect way to cool off after walking around all day on your sore feet.

The set up of Animal Kingdom is really cool and each of the continents contains elements of their unique cultures. Also, Dinoland U.S.A. is pretty awesome and I don't really remember going there as a kid. Now, the Dinosaur ride is my all time favorite and the TriceraTop Spinner is just like the Dumbo ride, only with shorter lines. Side Note: My boyfriend is obsessed with dinosaurs so we spent a lot of time here.

Now that I'm older I can really appreciate the scenery present at the Animal Kingdom and the exhibits with animals. There are several cast members stationed around the park who educate the guests on animals and conservations. This is so important that Disney does this and is something that all visitors should participate in.

Don't even get me started on the food. While everyone rushes to make reservations at Be Our Guest and other restaurants in Magic Kingdom, there is a hidden gem in Animal Kingdom, where guests can also interact with characters. At the Tusker House, Donald Duck and his friends walk around taking pictures with children and adults alike, visitors dine on traditional African food in a restaurant that is decorated with colorful, hanging fabrics. Also, at the Tusker House, you can purchase a package for preferred seating at the River of Lights show, which is also awesome.

Which brings me to my next points, the shows in Animal Kingdom are so much fun. The River of Lights combines lights and water to show viewers a message about unity. There's also The Lion King show, which is phenomenal, but I might be biased because I love The Lion King so much that I named my car Simba.

After our trip, my boyfriend told me that whenever he went to Disney World everyone always rushed off to the more "exciting" rides and never paid attention to the shows or characters and that this time, the "less exciting" things were the best parts of the trip. I wonder how many people have dismissed Animal Kingdom because it's not as "exciting" as Magic Kingdom.

We spent an entire day running around Animal Kingdom, riding rides, taking pictures with characters, and watching shows. The next day, we left Magic Kingdom to go back to Animal Kingdom, because it was so much fun. There are so many aspects of the park that make it my favorite part of Disney World. Animal Kingdom is filled with just as much excitement and magic as Magic Kingdom.