Angels Don't Always Have Wings

Angels Don't Always Have Wings

God shines most vibrantly through the things we'd typically overlook.

87
Angels Don't Always Have Wings
Abigail Smith

I'd just walked into the Chick-Fil-A in Lebanon, Tennessee, with two friends of mine, starving and aching for some of those famous waffle fries. We ordered and turned around to find a table, and as commonly known for those of us who are regulars at Chick-Fil-A, finding a spot during the lunch rush is not an easy task. A table by the window caught our eye and as we sat down, I noticed an older gentleman sitting alone at the table adjacent to us. He sat sideways in his chair, food finished and eyes searching his surroundings, almost as if he was waiting for something, or someone. My friends and I were all wearing the same shirt, and as we sat down, he turned to me with bright eyes and said, "Twins?" As I explained to him that we had an event to attend later in the day, explaining our matching t-shirts, he sat with an ear-to-ear smile on his face, as if I'd just told him he'd won the lottery. I wondered why he was so happy to talk to a 17-year old he'd never met before, but he quickly taught me that simple, Southern hospitality was not the reason behind our conversation, but genuine love.

The harsh realities of life were getting in my way prior to my (much needed) trip to Tennessee. Stress built up, time never slowed and doubt drifted in: doubt of worth, doubt of self and most of all, doubt of where I stood with God. I'd been endlessly searching for something to turn my days around, and 588 miles away from home, I found it.

"Bubba" (my new friend) and I sat and talked for 45 minutes while my friends sat behind me engaged in their own conversation. We discussed it all: his childhood, his home, his late wife whom he loved dearly, his most-valuable learned lessons and even his political views. We chatted back and forth about my plans after college, my health struggles, my love life, you name it. All the while, I forgot I was talking to a man I'd met only an hour prior, a man who was sitting alone at a table, simply waiting for the next best thing. With a few sentences and a twinkle in his eye, my newfound friend restored it all: faith in myself, faith in pure joy and most of all, faith in God.

"You know little miss, you're just about the sweetest person I've ever met. It's hard to find genuine, sweet people these days, but I've never met anyone like you. You've got a twinkle in your eye, a good head on your shoulders and a smile that can change the world. I'd assume you're a Christian; you've got the Big Man bubbling right out of you and I think God had it in His plan for me to run into you today. I've been missing my wife and you remind me of her more than anything; she was a doll and a God-send, much like yourself. You're going to do big things and you're nothing short of crazy special- do not let a single soul tell you any different."

As my friends, whom I frankly forgot were at the same table, ushered me out of my seat as it was time to go, Bubba grabbed me by the hand and said, "Listen, don't forget anything I told you today. You sure are special and I loved getting to visit with you today. God wanted me to meet you."

With tears in my eyes and the urge to sit back down and chat away, I hugged sweet Bubba and thanked him. As I walked away, I turned around to see his smiling face and a sweet wave, realizing I was likely to never see him again as I fought back tears and waved goodbye. God most certainly works in mysterious ways, sending me an angel in Chick-Fil-A so far away from home. Bubba gave me hope and filled me with undying joy, showing me life and its worth in the most vibrant way possible.

I had the hardest time capturing this experience in words, and as frustrated as I was that I couldn't communicate the uniqueness in my moments with Bubba, I then realized that the most beautiful things are sometimes those that we cannot explain.

Thank you, Bubba, for reminding me that no matter how many obstacles are thrown my way, they're worth fighting to defeat. Thank you, Bubba, for reminding me that God lives within my heart as long as it will continue to beat, no matter how much his voice is dimmed by the sounds of worldly wants, needs and struggles. Thank you for teaching me that love is a verb: love does. As much as Bubba said I made an impact on him that day, he left the footprints on my heart to last a lifetime.