Dear Rude Customers: Waitstaff Are Your Servers, Not Your Servants

Believe me, you don't know how hard it is to keep from snapping.

848
Huffington Post UK

Dear rude customers,

You are going out to eat, and choosing to wait for a table at a busy restaurant with some great food. You are with your family and you woke up whenever you wanted, on your own time, to go have a nice breakfast. You sit down at a big booth, after complaining about the table you were originally assigned to.

You only glance at the menu for a split second, before you decide to sit on your phone until your waiter or waitress comes around. A waitress comes to you, greets you with a cheerful smile, and asks you what you want to drink. Your eyes do not leave your cell phone, and you shoo her away because you "need a minute". You roll your eyes out of irritation. She notices. She walks away, and you find it humorous like it's a game you love to play whenever you go out.

I am going to work, and choosing to get up at 6:15 in the morning to waitress at a busy restaurant with some great food. I am not with my family, but I serve other families where I work. My customers sit down in a big booth after they complain about the table they were supposed to sit at.

They glance at the menu just for a second or two, and then they decide to sit on their phones and ignore the world around them while I approach them. It's almost like they forgot they were in a public place. I reach their booth, greet them with a happy smile, and ask them what they want to start out for drinks.

Their eyes do not move from those phones. They shoo me away with their hands because they "need a minute". They roll their eyes and I notice. I walk away, knowing they find it funny to treat me like a game.

Do you notice anything wrong here?

Is there really any difference?

It looks like someone forgot their manners at home.

I'm honestly tired of going to work and having to deal with mean people. I work at a breakfast restaurant (a very popular one), and breakfast takes 10 minutes to make the most. It's annoying having to send back a waffle after a stuck-up customer claims it's cold when I literally bought it out to them immediately coming off the iron.

I find it irritating when a customer from a different table tries to talk and interrupt me when I'm already taking my other table's order. I hate it when a customer doesn't appreciate what I do for them. We are not appreciative of rude guests. Don't be an ass. Honestly, it's not that hard to be nice, and (get this) it's free to be a decent person, too!

My experiences have been ranged from crazy to over-the-top to absolutely unacceptable. People like you destine to make waitstaff feel inferior like they're trash. I've had someone follow me across the restaurant just so they could get their check, saying "Um, hello? Can you even hear me?".

A customer yelled at me because I gave them half-and-half for their coffee but "I drink it black, so you can take those back!", even when it's my job to walk up to a table first thing with a coffee pot and creams. I even had an older woman throw a plate at me because she wanted two eggs and not one, even though she ordered one egg.

Seriously, the most uncalled-for things happen, and it's honestly annoying. It's immature.

No one should ever treat a waiter or a waitress like crap, ever. No one should give them attitude, and no one should ever talk back to them. I will never understand how a person can just be miserable to someone giving them as much food and drinks as they desire.

Whenever I go out to a restaurant, I'm always nice to my waiter or waitress. The waitstaff is super important and they mean a lot. I always tip them at least 20%. I appreciate them, because they try their best, just like everybody else.

Before, of course, I understood, but not fully. Now that I am actually a waitress, and it's my second summer serving you snobby rich people, I completely understand what it's like. Waitressing is hard enough, running food yourself and jogging back and forth with a hot coffee pot. But to have to deal with whiny customers like you... yikes. I mean, come on.

Imagine if you were in my shoes. Would you want someone to treat you like that? Please "take a minute" to not only look over the menu but to think about whether or not you'd want your feelings hurt because you know your hard work will never be enough.

Believe me, you don't know how hard it is to keep from snapping. Every fiber of my being is holding me back from talking back to you after you tell me I took a long time to run your food out. When I have 3 other tables to worry about, AND it's busy, it's going to be tough. But I give it my all and my best shot every single shift. I promise I'll get to you.

Like, who are you to even judge?

Don't get me wrong, though, like you always do. I appreciate every single table I have and get. I love where I work. I'm thankful. However, this is how I make my money. We servers really work for this. So, I try very hard for it. But for you to mistreat me is unfair.

Also, tipping 20% is NOT required, but I think gratuity is always recommended if your waitress does a great job and she does her best. I bet you know how it is to bust your ass to get the best out of things, so I think it's fair to tip waitstaff the correct amount. It's a different ball game if the food was bad and/or the service was poor. But that's super rare. You need to make sure you do the right thing when you go out to eat.

I need to get one more thing straight with you. Although I am your server, I am NOT your servant. You did not hire me. I serve you food and drinks. I do not do anything else for you.

So, rude customers, I hope I'm making myself clear. Servers are very appreciative and grateful for everything, but please just be a good person. It makes our job a little easier.

Thank you for your patronage, and please remember to bring your manners and class with you next time.

Sincerely, your favorite waitress