An Open Letter To The Little Boy That Keeps Me Going

You're only 7, but you have changed my life in ways I never thought were possible.

390

To the little boy who keeps me going,

You are a bit young to read this letter, or to even understand the impact you have had on my life. Yet I think this is something worthwhile to write, and is something I can show you when you get a little older. It is just one out of the many things I plan to share with you as you grow.

First, I want to say how lucky I am to be a part of your family-- and how lucky you are to be a part of it too. Our family is pretty amazing. You have all of the love and support you could ever dream of. Your mom is an absolutely phenomenal woman who wants nothing but the best for you. She would move mountains for you and your brother, I have no doubt in my mind. You may not realize it now, but having a family that loves you as much as ours does is a pretty remarkable thing.

I've realized it times ten, especially since I've grown close to you. You are, beyond a shadow of a doubt, my best buddy, my favorite little boy in this world. There is nothing I wouldn't do for you. My love for you is endless.

A year ago, I would have never expected to have the bond with you that I have now. I had no idea that I would be sitting here, typing this letter, with a smile on my face just thinking about you and all of the things I have experienced with you over the last 12 months.

I smile because I think about how picky you are. You don't like many people. You don't invest your time or energy into much of anyone. When your mother told me that, I was genuinely surprised because I have always felt such a connection with you. And, through your words/actions, it is evident that you feel just as much of a connection with me. To know that you are so picky with who you love, and that you chose to love me... that gives me a feeling of indescribable joy. You make me feel so special, just like I try to make you feel.

I'm convinced you are my biggest fan. Every time I walk in the room, you are the first one to scream my name, jump up, and run to me for a hug. Your hugs are never casual, either. You always hug me like it is the last time you will ever see me, and that in itself is magical. It makes me feel so loved to know that my presence makes you that happy. If I'm there, I always have to be with you or playing with you. It doesn't matter if I want to talk with the adults, or if I want to just relax in the other room. You want me near you, doing whatever you are doing, and because you're my, dare I say it, favorite... I will always comply.

If you love a child, you show up for them-- and I will always, always show up for you. No matter what. I will always make a conscious effort to come to your soccer/baseball games, to help you with your reading and school projects, to be someone you know you always can count on. You are someone I know that I can always count on to look up to me, to show me how amazing I am, and to make me feel loved. I am still in awe of the fact that you got me your own gift at Christmas, and didn't get anything for anyone else. It blows my mind that a seven-year-old knows so much about me, and remembers little details, like my favorite color is green, my favorite book series is Harry Potter, and "You don't like tea, Olivia.. but you love coffee!"

I remember vividly the one time we were thinking of words to describe me. You didn't even have to think. You looked at me, smiled, and simply said, "Amazing."

To know you have such admiration for me is just one of the only things you do that keeps me going. I am one of your role models, and I take that job very seriously. I will never let you down.

You are the person that keeps me going after a bad day. When I'm sitting at school, stressed about one thing or another, I think about you. I think about how much I mean to you, and how much of a difference I have made in your life. I think about how you get so excited when I say I'm coming over or going to one of your games. I think about the smile that lights up your face when you see me. I think about the amazing hug that I'm going to get from you the next time I see you. I think about that and know that no matter what happens at school or in my life, I have a little boy back at home that thinks I'm a hero.

You make me want to be better. You motivate me to be the best person I can be, so I can be my absolute best, all of the time, not only for myself, but for you.

You deserve as many people as possible that are going to love you and be in your corner. I will always be one of those people. I am looking forward to being there for you your whole life-- to show you the way, give you a shoulder to cry on, and to help you unlock your limitless potential.

As you grow, I plan to be there every step of the way. I plan to watch you go from grade to grade and help you successfully transition. I plan to catch you when you fall and to let you catch yourself if necessary. I will always help you solve problems and to deal with anything life throws your way, good or bad. You will more often than not hear me screaming your name in the stands at sporting events, and please know that if I say I'm going to be there, I will be. I cannot wait for our bond to strengthen even more as you get older. With age, our bond will change, but I will always remember you fondly as my best little buddy, the one who kept me motivated.

You're only 7, but you have changed my life in ways that I never thought were possible.

I love you, I thank you, and I can't imagine my life without your wide grin and your contagious laugh.

You have changed me and have shown me my worth. I only hope I have made as much of an impact on you as you have made on me.

I love you forever and ever, Troop #4.

All my love always,

Olivia