An Open Letter To The Incoming College Freshman

The things I wish I would have known.

9
Rose-Hulman

Dear Incoming Freshman,

Your years of school could have never prepared you for a time like college. All the years you learned the basics will not compare to what you learn now. If you never got the chance to be who you wanted to be, use college as that new start. Come in to college with the mindset of someone who gets to start over. Here, you'll have the chance to change your life.

College can be scary. At first, you will feel like you don't belong. It is scary mainly because it is a new scene and you are not familiar with the place, people, or lifestyle. You may not know where to go on your first day, and thats okay. You are not the only freshman that has no idea where they are going. Also, if the older kids look at you like you're crazy, remember they were once in your shoes. It is a part of the experience to be a "tourist" of your college.

If college has taught me one thing, it's that I did not know anything. College took me by storm, but it has been the best experience of my life. I might have been pretty good with my school work in high school, but man, college is something else. I never thought I would pull so many all nighters in my life. I will never complain about a four page paper ever again like I did back in grade school. The homework piles up, but it can all be managed. It is a part of the college experience.

When you hear people use the term "fresh start" to describe college, they mean it. You have the chance to grow, find out who you are, find out who you aren't, find out who your true friends are, and leave the past behind you. There is really no feeling quite like it. I hope that you don't lose yourself when you get here. Always be yourself, don't change just to "fit in" with a certain crowd. It is not about fitting in anymore, though it may seem like it at times. Everyone is so different here, but in the best way.

College is all about the experiences (and the free t-shirts of course). Go to all of the events, get involved, fall in love with your school. If you do fall in love, it makes the college experience so much more fun. Get to know professors; they are real people too. Get to know people, you'll meet people that change your life. I hope you get a college roommate like mine. She has been my rock, best friend, and a lifesaver honestly. If you commute, I hope you find your go-to friend in a class. Seriously, my college friends will definitely be around for a lifetime. I hope you can say the same.

Here in college you can make your own schedule (don't do 8:00 a.m.'s -- just don't). You take classes you like, and you grow up. Your parents won't be here to wake you up or tell you when to go to bed. You'll be successful, but you'll also make mistakes. Make sure that you make memories that last a lifetime. Even though I have contemplated dropping out many times (which, you will too) , college was the best decision of my life. This freshman year has been the best year of my life. I would not change it for the world.

So, good luck to you incoming college freshmen. It is time to make your own memories and mistakes. I hope that your freshman year is filled with laughter, smiles, wonderful experiences, and fun. Remember that you have to get through the hard times too. It can't all be about fun, even though in the end it is. I'm rooting for you!

Sincerely,

The Upcoming College Sophomore