To The Girl Who Wants To Be Liked By Everybody

Not everyone likes you and that's okay because somebody loves you.

402

Hey, you, yep, you! I have a few things to tell you because trust me, I’ve been where you are, and at times (more often than I would like to admit) I am still there.

First thing: It is just part of life that not everyone is going to like you.

And guess what, it’s not your job or mission to be liked by everyone. Reality check: you can’t control what other people think about you or how they treat you. They make their own choices, despite how important it is to you for everyone to like you.

Second of all: While you can’t control if they like you or not, you can control how you treat them.

You have always been told to “treat others as you want to be treated,” and as hard as it is, you should still respect others and be kind to them, even when you feel like you aren’t being treated that way. Don’t just “like” people, do better than that: love them. We’re called to love and we should do that well because we have someone who has gone before us and set the perfect example.

Third: Don’t let other people determine how you feel.

Seriously, don’t. It’s unhealthy for you and is a step towards putting your trust in other people and their thoughts, instead of in what you know to be true. Don’t base your “good days” and “bad days” on someone else’s mood. Let today be a good day, regardless of what they said or did. Don’t let a few minutes ruin the remaining hours of your day.

Finally: Realize that there is so much more than just being liked.

You should want to be valued, to be cherished, to be loved, to be wanted. BUT don’t let that come from other people. You are already valued, cherished, loved, and wanted by a Savior. So you can stop looking for approval from everyone else that you know (and yes, you really are putting your approval in other people), because someone already wanted you, and they called you.

I know that it is hard to get over the truth that some people just aren’t going to like you, maybe for just a season, maybe any time they are around you, maybe for the differences in your personalities, or maybe for that confrontation you had (I know, confrontation is your biggest fear because you are afraid that it will cause other people to think differently of you). They don’t like you. Accept it. But then, love them still. Don’t let someone else affect your mood or the type of day you are having. Smile, love, and realize where your trust is and whose you are.