An Open Letter To The College Christian In A Rut

Sometimes the hymns that we sing in chapel are just words to me.

15
Missi Ode I Fellowship

Sometimes, I'm just not into it.

Sometimes the hymns that we sing in chapel are just words to me. Occasionally the prayers that I pray do not always have as much substance as they should. There are days when I would rather veg in front of Netflix than crack open my bible.

And sometimes I am just not on fire for God.

That is a hard thing to admit even to myself. We are constantly warned about the perils of being a 'lukewarm Christian.' We are told to get involved with a church or a small group that will keep us accountable. Most college Christians were given a copy of 'Jesus Calling' by Sarah Young for high school graduation. The short devotional is a daily encouragement to keep the faith.

But sometimes we just don't.

I am full of excuses as to why I get lazy. "I'm tired" is my go-to. Occasionally I'll pull out the "I didn't have time" or "I'm just not feeling it today" excuse. And I am not proud of that, but I don't think I am alone either.

Some of us who grew up in the church are the worst about it. We go through the motions because we know the motions so well. We have a general grasp of the bible and its contents and so skipping a couple morning devotionals won't kill us, right? And then we kind of fall into a rut.

A rut is defined as "a habit or pattern of behavior that has become dull and unproductive but is hard to change."

Sounds about right.

For some reason, it is easier to do our own thing than it is to do God's thing. This rut that we find ourselves in seems to be an effortless path because we don't have to think too hard about it. We're not hurting anybody. We're still believers. We are just putting forth a little less effort.

But here's the thing: I feel worse when my life gets easier.

I feel disconnected.

I feel far away.

I feel like a traveler without a map or a cellphone.

You can technically still travel without a map and you can technically still contact somebody without a cellphone.

But it's a whole lot harder, and there is less security in your journey.

But how do you fight the rut?

The scriptures call us to endurance, which is easier said than done. God knows it's not easy. He knows there are distractions and temptations that pull us in a million different directions. He understands that there's studying and grad school applications. He sees that we are trying to work a part time job and find an internship before graduation. But what's cool is that He doesn't ask us to battle those things alone. He will extend His hand- we need only ask.

But there's also some responsibility on our shoulders as well- God makes it possible if we put in the work. The only way I can pull myself out of these types of slumps is to plan. I have to make a plan to wake up and spend time in the Word before classes. I have to make a plan to clear my schedule for Wednesday night church. If I do not think ahead, I will likely not do it. Sometimes I go as far as to write it down in my planner. It has to be a part of my agenda for me to make it a priority.

This is what pulls me back into good habits. And maybe you too. Or maybe something else works for you. I hope you share that with someone because we all could use a little help from time to time getting back at it.

But don't forget that slumps come and go. If you're anything like me- they come a lot. Asking for God's guidance and mercy when we fall- that makes a difference. He remains faithful even when we do not and that is why we should continue to press on.