An Open Letter To My Little Sister

An Open Letter To My Little Sister

“You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.” — Winnie the Pooh

41261
An Open Letter To My Little Sister

To My Smart, Funny, Compassionate Little Sister,

I'm writing this to you because I fear that you haven't learned from all of my mistakes, and I really want you to do well in this world. I'm writing this because I want to see you become the amazing, world changing woman I know you can be. I'm writing this because this world is a scary place, and I want you know what I didn't know.

I want you to know that things are going to be hard sometimes. You'll get so overwhelmed that it might get hard to breathe, but I promise if you get up and walk away from whatever it is for a little bit, that when you come back, you can conquer it. I know you can conquer it because you're my little sister, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Plus, I'm always just a phone call away to help.

People are going to break your heart and be mean to you. It is going to suck. But it's a lesson to learn from. It'll show you how strong you are. It'll show you how great your friends are, or aren't, by who comes to stand by you during tough times. And on the other hand, you're going to find people who are kind and caring and treat you with the respect you deserve to be treated with. Try not to lose those people, because they'll help you keep perspective.

Your hometown friends might become the friends that you see once a year, or maybe even never again. And that is OK. It happens. People grow up and change, don't hate them for not reaching out to you. It was time to move on from each other, don't be upset about it. Remember your good times and smile when you think of them.

I swear Mom and Dad just want the best for you. They are going to drive you crazy, and the rules are going to seem absurd and annoying. But I promise you they mean well. Tell them you love them every chance you get. Eat dinner with them as much as possible, and let them embarrass you in public, because when you move out, you're going to miss them, I swear.

Know that you are one of the bravest people I know. You stand up for what you believe in. You fight the fight that not many will. You stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves. You love with your whole heart. You are one of the kindest, most loving, strongest, stubbornest (right after Dad, of course) people I know. I am always in awe of you.

You may be my little sister, but I look up to you. You inspire me. You make me believe in myself. You encourage me to follow my dreams and to fight my own fights. You teach me about myself (and about fashion). You are my role model.

You are loved more than anything in this world. Our parents love you. Our family loves you. But most of all, I love you. You are my forever friend. You are my inspiration to do well in the world. I want to make you proud. I want to show you that achieving your dream is possible.

To my pain in the ass, amazing, little sister, I love you with my whole heart. Learn from my mistakes. Continue to fight for the good things in this world. Don't grow up too quickly, and continue to be true to yourself.

I'll always be on your side. Pinky promise.