An Open Letter To My Daughter As You Leave For College

You're going to do great things, believe in yourself.

37682
Mother's and daughters retreat

Today was your first day of college, the first day of a new chapter in your life. I know you have to be filled with so many emotions right now. There is so much I had left to teach you and show you and tell you. Here's a few things I want you to remember.

First, I know the house already feels empty without you here. From the moment you came into my life, I knew God had blessed me with a lifelong friend. Life was not always easy however I knew I always had you. You are and will always be my world and my reason for my existence. I know we have not always seen eye to eye on everything and we have had some fights, but please know everything I did was for you. I did the best job I could raising you and, even though it may not have seemed like it at the time, the rules I set and the times I grounded you were for you, to help you not hurt you. One day when you have your own children and you will understand that. You will set rules and boundaries for your children to teach them so that they grow up to be responsible, respectable adults.

College is going to be a whole new experience for you and I know you will excel. You have an amazing future ahead of you. Family is the most important and most precious thing in your life. You may not always see eye to eye with them, but no matter what they will always be there for you.

Always be proud of where you came from. No matter where life takes you, your hometown will always be home.The friends you make in college will be lifelong friends. However, just remember that not everyone you meet is your friend and there are people out there that will try to hurt you in some way or another.

Know that I am always here for you. I will be by your side and will support you in all you do. You will meet people who will do anything to watch you fail. Don't let them get to you. There are going to be times when you are scared, just know that even though I may not always be with you physically, I am always by your side cheering you on in everything you do. Follow your dreams no matter where life takes you. Being happy is one of the most important things in life. You are going to stumble, you may even fall but you have to pick yourself up, dust off and try again. In the words of Rascal Flatts "You get mad, you get strong. Wipe your hands, shake it off. Then you stand." That line will be relevant many times throughout your life, remember it.

You will succeed, I promise that. Your smile can light up a room and you have such a big heart. No matter what, never let anyone dull your sparkle. I love you so much and you will always be my baby no matter how old you get.

Make me proud, although you already have.

Love,

Mom