An Open Letter To My Childhood Pet

An Open Letter To My Childhood Pet

In loving memory of Maggie

44
An Open Letter To My Childhood Pet
Lynn Browning

Before you, I remember begging mom and dad nonstop for a pet. Eventually, all my nagging paid off and they gave in. I spent days maybe even weeks thinking of what we could name you. Even though none of my suggestions were taken into consideration I was still excited to bring you home. When the day finally came we picked you up and you came to your forever home. I had never had another pet so when we picked you up I didn’t realize that you were going to become part of the family. We shared laughs, smiles and ice cream cones through our 13 years, side-by-side. You immediately brought slobbery kisses and kindness into our household.

You found joy in nearly everything, including the changing of the seasons. Fall was your favorite, actually all seasons were your favorite, especially as a puppy. Whether it was running through the snow, the leaves or the mud… you were always getting yourself into something. I’ll be honest though, water wasn’t your favorite. You also had a love for any human to come near you, especially if they were offering food. I look back to the memories and see you trucking through the snow or riding in my toy Barbie jeep. I remember every year of grade school, you sent me off to the bus every day. As I got into high school you would send me to my car. But, one thing never changed… I always left in the morning knowing that at the end of the day, you would be sitting there waiting.

Having you through my childhood was like growing up with an extra sibling. You taught me responsibility, loyalty, compassion, the importance of companionship, how to have a good laugh and so much more. You taught me that it is okay to spend a day eating and sleeping. You taught me to find joy in the smallest things and that a walk is always something to get excited over. Along with what you have taught me, you were by my side through everything. You never judged me for what I did when we were home alone, you were constant entertainment and you listened when I needed someone the most… I know you couldn’t understand but you always made everything better by just being there. You took care of me. You showed me a relationship between you and I that could never be taught, replaced or remade. You were there through all my milestones such as beginning and leaving elementary school, beginning and leaving middle school, high school sports, senior prom, high school graduation, packing and leaving for college and every other thing in-between. You were there for the good days and the bad.

But as I grew older, so did you. As you became old and gray, you felt your age, but I never loved you any less. Aging is a part of life and now I truly believe there is a reason dogs don’t live as long as humans. Humans are here so they can learn how to live a good life, but dogs don’t need to stay as long because they already know how to.There is no way to describe the feeling of letting you go… I can’t even try to explain. This may be because I truly thought I would never have to let you go. Losing you was like losing a family member, there was no way to prepare for it. I tried to mentally prepare for it but when the day came, there was nothing that could control the pain I felt. I grew up with you next to me and now I feel like my childhood is gone but it isn’t. My childhood would never have been so great without you and I am so extremely thankful for the memories.

You were my childhood, but my family and I were your whole life. Each day of yours was spent loving anyone who walked through out front door, it truly didn’t matter if it was a familiar face. I know we were your whole world, but trust me when I say, you were our whole world also.

The truth is, forever would not have been enough time with you. But, I would like to thank you for the memories and all the joy you brought me. Thank you for being a shoulder to cry on and always being up for a cheeseburger/ ice cream. Thank you for being my best friend. But most importantly, thank you for being you and helping me shape myself into who I am today. No other dog could ever replace you so please remember that I love you more than you’ll ever know.

I’ll see you in heaven.